What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to Avoid iTunes

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I just want to use iTunes at a bare minimum, if at all (Windows PC.) So I'm wondering if I can use the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and attach my external HDD to upload movies from time to time? They are in the proper format so that won't be the issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't attach a standard USB HDD.

There are some wi-fi drive options out there, but I can't remember what they are called. There are a few othe rmembers that use them. I expect they will chime in at some point.

Most of the thrird video/audio playing apps have alternate ways of loading files, and play more formats than iTunes does. These includ downloading directly from the web, using cloud services like DropBox, and wi-fi drive (which lets you transfer files between your iPad and computer using the computer's web browser. I'm familiar with AVPlayer and OPlayer, thoug I rarely use them.

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok thanks but I guess I could load a couple hundred gigs of movies on an SD Card and use this device to import them to the photo/video area on my iPad? Then when IOS 11 comes I will be able to actually move them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos is a lousy choice to watch movies. Yes, it would work, but only with the bare minimum of features and controls. One of the other apps I mentioned would be better.

Search for Wi-Fi storage for iPad on Amazon. You'll see several options. You will note that some of them are hard drives, but they have a wi-fi connection that will work with your iPad. Some of them will let you play media directly from the storage. All of them require a companion app (usually free).

These are the devices I mentioned before. I can't recomend any of them, since I don't use any of them. I do recommend that you look for reviews on the companion apps as well as the hardware, since the companion app will be central to the experience.

Note: You can connect to either the storage device or internet, not both at the same time. Keep this limitation in mind.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. And it's a handy dongle to have, but as you noted it's pretty limited in what it will do with files. You can import photos and movies to the Photos app, and that's about it. There are a few other non-file things that can be done with it, like use a USB microphone (last I checked anyway).

Most reactions

Latest posts