1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Trouble w/ iBooks

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Knightoftheapp, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I just downloaded Steve Jobs' new biography this morning. As matter of fact I per-ordered the book late last week. I started reading the book and quickly found out that the bookmark function on iBooks has malfunctioned. Does anyone have this problem. And yes, I have iOS 5. I've also shut down my iPad and rebooted it, deleted the iBooks app and reinstalled it, and cleared all the programs running in the background. All to no avail. Any thoughts.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,686 / 0
    Can you please describe the error you are having with the bookmark function in iBooks?

I ask because I have that book, loaded in iBooks and I have no trouble making a bookmark, accessing a bookmark or deleting a bookmark. It's on the iPhone - but the iPhone is running iOS 5.

So, if we know exactly how bookmarks is not working for you, maybe we can figure it out...

Marilyn
  3. Knightoftheapp

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0

Sure thing. It sounds like you iBooks is working just fine. But unlike you, I can't access a bookmark at all, much less delete one. In addition, please look at the attached photo.

I went to the app store to contact Apple Support. I logged in and the picture that you see is what came up. As you can see, it has the word "To" and the one little line to write your email, and then send it.

Attached Files:

4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,686 / 0
    Huh. Well, very weird and I'm sorry that you're having troubles (and that Apple's site is, well, not so user-friendly).

Hopefully, someone will be along to tell of how they noticed the problem ... and how that fixed it (<--- which is the important part, right?).

Sorry I couldn't help.

Marilyn
  5. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Do you have the full/paid version or the sample? (Sounds like you have the full version.) I've noted that some features don't work in the sample versions of iBooks. Just wondering.
  6. Knightoftheapp

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I pre-ordered the full version of this book late last week.
  7. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    That's what I thought. Hmmm... If you have other iBooks are they all behaving normally, bookmarks working, etc.? If so have you tried deleting your new book and downloading it again? More here:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is to restart and/or reset your iPad.
    • Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
    • Reset the iPad: if restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.
  8. Knightoftheapp

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I did all of that and it's still not working properly. I went into the app store, and tapped on their Support. I should be getting a response from Apple in 24 hrs. Also, I think I'll call my local Apple Store and see what they have to say about it.
  9. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Okay...let us know if you will...it may help others that follow. TIA!
  10. Knightoftheapp

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Here's an update. I deleted the Jobs' bio from iBooks and tested some of the other books in my collection. Now that the Jobs' book has been deleted, the other books in the app seem to be working fine. I'm still waiting for Apple's tech support to get back to me.
  11. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Thanks for the update! That's really interesting. Did you try deleting and downloading it again or did you just delete it? TIA for keeping us in the loop.
  12. Knightoftheapp

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0

You'll all be interested to know that I got an email from Apple's support. They said that they're going to credit my account for the price of the Jobs' bio and notify Engineering of this "content" problem. They also said that I'll be getting my credit in five to seven days. I've already purchased another copy through my Nook app.
  13. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Excellent! I've gotten a couple of credits from Apple and they've always come through...usually earlier than they said they would. Under promise and over deliver could take the place of their unofficial "It just works" motto. :)

I wonder why it's working on our iPads but not yours? Strange...but glad you've gotten it sorted.

Enjoy the book...I'm sure you will.
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,913 / 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Sweet! Thanks for that. :thumbs:

I still wonder why some "early editions" worked while others didn't. Glad they took care of it right away though.

Thanks again!
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,913 / 1
    No problem. Still making my mind up on whether to buy it. I'm not a fan of biographies, but I might make an exception for this one. Though I get the impression I've already read most of the juicy, controversial, and mean parts just by skimming the headlines. (head shake)
  17. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    I know what you mean...the press's need to publish all things sensational and bad it seems.

I'm alternating between listening to the audio copy and reading it which is kind of strange, but I can't just stop and read sometimes...although I don't read as fast as, um, some around here ;) so far I'm really liking it.

I read one of the author's other books, a biography of Albert Einstein a year or so ago at the recommendation of a friend. I didn't think I'd like it, but Isaacson is terrific at making even the most mundane things interesting...and the interesting really intriguing. I'm not big on biographies either, but he has a knack for making it very real...as if you were there meeting with the subject yourself and experiencing a day in his life. Based on that experience I didn't hesitate to buy the one on Steve.

Each to their own of course, but it's been great so far.
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,913 / 1
    Hmm, even more intrigued now. It will have to wait until next month though. This one's already cleaned out my entertainment budget, and them some.
  19. stevnim

stevnim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I preordered the book on Amazon, sent it to the iPad 2 with iOS 5 and reading it Amazon's Kindle for iPad app. No problems bookmarking.

It's an interesting read and refreshing to go back in time instead of thinking about the future products.