What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble syncing email desktop and iPad

Val70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several mailboxes where am I am receiving the mail on both my Desktop and iPad. My problem is that if I move emails to Local Mail folders on my desktop i cannot sync them in the same way to my iPad without repeating the same manual exercise on the iPad. Another alternative I have thought off is can I make folders just to store mail within the mailbox system so they o not store on the local drive on my Desktop.
For information I use the built in Apple Mail app on both Desktop and iPad and have a gmail account and several btinternet accounts which are all mailboxes in the Apps.
Can anyone help me as to what I can to to keep them in sync. Do I have to do it through iTunes or is there an app I can get that would help. As there are a lot of mails I would like to automate this.
Although it is the mails moved to the local server I am concerned about. I have noticed that my outgoing mails sent from my iPad do not sync to my Desktop.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using POP or IMAP? POP simply downloads the emails to your PC/Mac but doesn't do anything to them on the email server. IMAP provides a virtual window from the iPad to the email server. Any change you make on the iPad is then reflected on the server and vice versa.

So switching both your PC/Mac and iPad to IMAP should solve this problem.

Tim

OP
V

Val70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email syncing

Are you using POP or IMAP? POP simply downloads the emails to your PC/Mac but doesn't do anything to them on the email server. IMAP provides a virtual window from the iPad to the email server. Any change you make on the iPad is then reflected on the server and vice versa.

So switching both your PC/Mac and iPad to IMAP should solve this problem.

Tim

Thanks
I have a mix of POP and IMAP. I will go through and make changes and hope this sorts the problem out. I take it I need to make the same folders on the iPad as the Desktop to store my emails - it will not do this automatically. Once again thanks for help
Val

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using IMAP, the iPad will simply reflect the folder structure that's on your email server. There's no need - or facility - to create folders locally on the iPad.

Tim

OP
V

Val70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim for your help. I have changed to iMap and everything is now fine and I had been puzzling about this for ages. I should have asked for advice sooner.
Val

kirchhoffk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im new to the forum and a senior and a novice(just to let you know my level of non-expertise). I have created a contact group on my pc and would like to download the group contact to my iPad. Does this invoke syncing? I don't know what iMap is. Could you give me step by step instructions in non technical language. Thanks in advance. KATE

Most reactions

Latest posts