What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trojan detected upon backup to Win7

antimonious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I just plugged my iPad into my Win 7 PC for the first time in a long time and it started backing up. Twice during this backup process, my McAfee triggered a detection and subsequent deletion of PWS-Zbot.gen.vv in my backup files. My iPad is not jailbroken, but I download a lot of documents and pdfs straight to my iPad and I do not know if this is a false trigger or whether something I have downloaded is a potential danger to any Windows device to which I sync or backup my iPad. Is there any way to tell which file is causing the issue from the crazy alphanumeric path or to scan the iPad for potentially dangerous files? The other discussions of trojans in this forum have concluded that since non-jailbroken apps are safe that the iPad itself is safe and that these are false triggers, but they did not discuss files downloaded through Safari.

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PWS:Win32/Zbot.gen.vv is a generic detection for a variant of a password-stealing trojan that monitors for visits to certain Web sites. Some variants allow limited remote access and control and may terminate certain security-related processes.

The trojan is capable of capturing logon credentials for particular Web sites, cached passwords and information contained in certificates and cookies. It is often distributed as an attachment to spam e-mail messages.

Maybe you have something in your emails on your pad?

Last edited:
OP
A

antimonious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I have been getting a lot of spam recently from a certain mailing list and would explain why I haven't witnessed this in the past. I will go through and clear out all the spam messages in hopes that that will help...

Most reactions

Latest posts