What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling to the UK

Deeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there.
I am wondering about changing sims in the UK... Does anyone know whether I can put a UK sim in without syncing with iTunes .... I want to leave my computer at home so would be keen to know. Thanks very much
Deeds

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no issue here - any microSIM from a UK operator will be fine in a GSM (AT&T) iPad. There are some locked iPads in the UK, but I'm not aware of any other country where there are locked iPads at present. There is no need to sync with iTunes.

You can simply walk into any mobile phone shop in the UK and purchase a pre-pay microSIM - pay by cash or credit card - and you're good to go. There are lots of good deals in the UK at the moment, so look around on-line to choose the one that best suits your needs.

Tim

OP
D

Deeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
There is no issue here - any microSIM from a UK operator will be fine in a GSM (AT&T) iPad. There are some locked iPads in the UK, but I'm not aware of any other country where there are locked iPads at present. There is no need to sync with iTunes.

You can simply walk into any mobile phone shop in the UK and purchase a pre-pay microSIM - pay by cash or credit card - and you're good to go. There are lots of good deals in the UK at the moment, so look around on-line to choose the one that best suits your needs.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That is terrific to hear that I can leave the laptop at home. The iPad I have is unlocked (Australia). Am pleased it is easy. And it will save me a lot of money in International roaming fees from my Aussie provider. Thanks again, D

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Hmm I'm guessing the same will work for me when I take a trip to Canada since they have a GSM network

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Hmm I'm guessing the same will work for me when I take a trip to Canada since they have a GSM network

There may be some issues. I know that, coming the other way, US operators are reported by Members not to be willing to accept Canadian credit cards. I've not heard of any problems going the other way (i.e. to Canada) but it might be wise to check. If you have an AT&T iPad then there are no technical issues.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Yet another reason to love the UK.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

It must be something in the air...I simply cannot understand countries that want your address, telephone number, credit references, date of birth, mother's maiden name, salary, number of children...in the UK they just want your MONEY!!

OK - sorry - rant over.......:(

Back to cooking the evening meal for my kids...

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

It must be something in the air...I simply cannot understand countries that want your address, telephone number, credit references, date of birth, mother's maiden name, salary, number of children...in the UK they just want your MONEY!!

OK - sorry - rant over.......:(

Back to cooking the evening meal for my kids...

Tim

In the U.S., the Feds also want to eavesdrop on your calls whenever they see fit.

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just called Rogers in Toronto and this is how it's work for the iPad:
$10-microsim
$25-activation
$35-500mb flex/pay as you go data plan.
= min $70 just to use the iPad

For att international plan
$25-20mb
$60-50mb
$120-100mb
$200-200mb
= lame!!!!

rd86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just registered to the forum to say that it's very easy here in the uk most sim cards are free as long as you pay to top it up.

Three is a network made for mobile Internet and also is the cheapest.

Pay and go is around 10 pound for 1 gb of data simply put it in and you are away.

It won't let me post links with me being a new user so just google three network iPad data plans or go to three.co.uk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just registered to the forum to say that it's very easy here in the uk most sim cards are free as long as you pay to top it up.

Three is a network made for mobile Internet and also is the cheapest.

Pay and go is around 10 pound for 1 gb of data simply put it in and you are away.

It won't let me post links with me being a new user so just google three network iPad data plans or go to three.co.uk

Welcome - and thanks..I'm on '3' too..great network...

Have a great evening...

Tim

OP
D

Deeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Will google 3 and see. Cheer D

Most reactions