What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling With The iPad

OP
C

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack the thread but I will be travelling with my iPad in the new year. Flying to the states from the uk. I'm planning on either picking up a AT&T microsim when I arrive or order one first off of eBay. So I have it ready straight when I get there. What I would like to know is once inserted will the sim work straight away after I've purchased the data plan or will I need to enter the correct apn settings. The only reason that I ask is because I've read that us ipads already have the at&t settings built in. But mines a uk iPad so will it still work straight away with no iTunes plug in etc...

Cheers
You're not hijacking the thread at all. I can tell you that I used a Vodafone microsim in Germany and I did have to put in a new APN setting for it. Not a big deal and I didn't have to go through iTunes to do it. I'm not sure if you would have to do that for the AT&T microsim when arriving in the States. I know when I returned to the US and I put my AT&T microsim back into my iPad, I did not have to enter any new settings, it found AT&T service and began working instantly.

Good luck,

chesterhound

Ludzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack the thread but I will be travelling with my iPad in the new year. Flying to the states from the uk. I'm planning on either picking up a AT&T microsim when I arrive or order one first off of eBay. So I have it ready straight when I get there. What I would like to know is once inserted will the sim work straight away after I've purchased the data plan or will I need to enter the correct apn settings. The only reason that I ask is because I've read that us ipads already have the at&t settings built in. But mines a uk iPad so will it still work straight away with no iTunes plug in etc...

Cheers
You're not hijacking the thread at all. I can tell you that I used a Vodafone microsim in Germany and I did have to put in a new APN setting for it. Not a big deal and I didn't have to go through iTunes to do it. I'm not sure if you would have to do that for the AT&T microsim when arriving in the States. I know when I returned to the US and I put my AT&T microsim back into my iPad, I did not have to enter any new settings, it found AT&T service and began working instantly.

Good luck,

chesterhound

Thanks for that. I ordered a AT&T sim from ebay which arrived a couple of days ago so have it ready to use when I arrive. What are the correct AT&T ipad apn settings just incase I have to enter them myself?

Cheers

OP
C

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ludzy:

My current AT&T APN says "broadband". The Username & Password fields are blank.

chesterhound

Most reactions