Translucency....

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iLoner, Sep 21, 2013.

1. iLoner

iLoner
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    On my iPad 2, some things, such as the keyboard and Control Centre are not as translucent as I've seen on videos of other iPad models running iOS 7.

And before anyone asks, I don't have increased contrast turned on!

image.jpg

While Control Center is translucent, it is white, and the colours beneath do not have any influence over its colour.

image.jpg

The keyboard is not translucent at all and is black regardless of the colour of the wallpaper.

I know that iOS 7 isn't really finished yet, and that the release was perhaps a little early, so I sincerely hope that this is a bug, and not one of Apple's little "signals" that I need to buy a new device. :mad:

These elements are translucent on fourth generation iPads, and I have seen an iPad 2 display them with translucency on early betas, so I know that they are more than capable of this.

2. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Nope, some of the new eye candy is not present on iPad 2 or 3. Presumably, it requires more processing power than the older devices can muster.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

3. iLoner

iLoner
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So... iPad 2 lacks the processing power, but the identically-powered iPad mini doesn't? And the more powerful third generation iPad apparently lacks the processing power too? Sure. :rolleyes:

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to say. We're still learning.

I read a recent article that pointed out that older devices were showing translucency, but not the blurring effect. I can say this is true between my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. When I pull down the notification on the iPad, it's simply a very dark translucent. When I do the same on the iPhone it's a bit lighter, but also blurred. With the control panel the the iPad is almost solid, while the iPhone shows more and blurred.

My guess is that if the device can't handle the blurring (and that does take processor power) then the effect is more solid (less translucent) to make sure that what ever you put on top still stands out.

But it's just a guess.

And the iPad mini, while not being more powerful processor wise than the iPad 3, has considerably less to do when processing graphics. Namely, about a fourth of the pixels. That goes a long ways towards compensating for a slower GPU.

5. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was about to say that about the mini but you beat me too it.

6. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I can't see it on my iPad 4 too!