What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Translucency....

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad 2, some things, such as the keyboard and Control Centre are not as translucent as I've seen on videos of other iPad models running iOS 7.

And before anyone asks, I don't have increased contrast turned on!

image.jpg

While Control Center is translucent, it is white, and the colours beneath do not have any influence over its colour.

image.jpg

The keyboard is not translucent at all and is black regardless of the colour of the wallpaper.

I know that iOS 7 isn't really finished yet, and that the release was perhaps a little early, so I sincerely hope that this is a bug, and not one of Apple's little "signals" that I need to buy a new device. :mad:

These elements are translucent on fourth generation iPads, and I have seen an iPad 2 display them with translucency on early betas, so I know that they are more than capable of this.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope, some of the new eye candy is not present on iPad 2 or 3. Presumably, it requires more processing power than the older devices can muster.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
iLoner

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So... iPad 2 lacks the processing power, but the identically-powered iPad mini doesn't? And the more powerful third generation iPad apparently lacks the processing power too? Sure. :rolleyes:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's hard to say. We're still learning.

I read a recent article that pointed out that older devices were showing translucency, but not the blurring effect. I can say this is true between my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. When I pull down the notification on the iPad, it's simply a very dark translucent. When I do the same on the iPhone it's a bit lighter, but also blurred. With the control panel the the iPad is almost solid, while the iPhone shows more and blurred.

My guess is that if the device can't handle the blurring (and that does take processor power) then the effect is more solid (less translucent) to make sure that what ever you put on top still stands out.

But it's just a guess.

And the iPad mini, while not being more powerful processor wise than the iPad 3, has considerably less to do when processing graphics. Namely, about a fourth of the pixels. That goes a long ways towards compensating for a slower GPU.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope, some of the new eye candy is not present on iPad 2 or 3. Presumably, it requires more processing power than the older devices can muster.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

I can't see it on my iPad 4 too!

Most reactions

Latest posts