What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring video recording from iPad to Mac

lemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
I need assistance transferring a video recording of a presentation I made from the iPad to my Mac.

I can playback my recording which is almost an hour long, but I can't copy it over to my Mac so I can edit it and then upload to Vimeo.

iTunes simply doesn't see it - I have even tried connecting it to a PC, and that doesn't work either?

Help?

Thanks

lamin8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry I've interupted a thread but I don't know how else to get in!
Could someone please tell me how to go back a page that doesn't have a back button.
And how do I ask a question with out interrupting?
Tks

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Is the video showing up in your camera roll on the ipad?

Are you sure its not showing up in iphoto? The naming convention is the same for both videos and photos (i.e. img_1234) its just the extension will be different (jpg or mp4). There will also be a camcorder icon on the thumbnail preview for videos. If you have a lot of photos and videos showing on the ipad it can sometimes be difficult to pick out the one you want and easily overlook it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Plug your iPad into the Mac and use the Image Capture program on you Mac (included in the basic OS X install). You can see and download all videos and photos from the camera roll.

OP
L

lemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plug your iPad into the Mac and use the Image Capture program on you Mac (included in the basic OS X install). You can see and download all videos and photos from the camera roll.

Thanks. I did try this also, and it downloaded the photos but NOT the video.

Its still on the iPad :-(

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks for your help!

OP
L

lemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the video showing up in your camera roll on the ipad?

Are you sure its not showing up in iphoto? The naming convention is the same for both videos and photos (i.e. img_1234) its just the extension will be different (jpg or mp4). There will also be a camcorder icon on the thumbnail preview for videos. If you have a lot of photos and videos showing on the ipad it can sometimes be difficult to pick out the one you want and easily overlook it.

Its definitely in the camera roll, and I can play it back from there.

The only things that download from it using iPhoto or Image Capture, are photos.

The video is the only thing recorded on that date, and I've been through each image separately.

I can't email it or send it to YouTube, as it says the file is too big. Its almost an hour long.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
lemonade said:
Thanks. I did try this also, and it downloaded the photos but NOT the video.

Its still on the iPad :-(

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know what to say. The movies I take on the iPad show up in the Image Capture program, and I can import them from there. I've never had reason to try any other method.

KG10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I recorded a video with my iPad, its 30 minutes long and is in my camera roll. I can watch on the iPad but it doesn't register in iPhoto. My last import has cleaned camera roll out and the video is the only thing left. I didn't have any problems with shorter videos under 5 minutes long, but this half hour one is stuck on my iPad and is taking up way too much storage space.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KG10 said:
I am having the same problem. I recorded a video with my iPad, its 30 minutes long and is in my camera roll. I can watch on the iPad but it doesn't register in iPhoto. My last import has cleaned camera roll out and the video is the only thing left. I didn't have any problems with shorter videos under 5 minutes long, but this half hour one is stuck on my iPad and is taking up way too much storage space.

I've used iMovie to transfer video from my iPad/iPhone to my Mac.

KG10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you go about it in iMovie? I'm trying to import the vid but, I cannot locate my iPad in any applications other than iPhoto and iTunes. Imovie only lets me import videos already on my computer.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KG10 said:
How did you go about it in iMovie? I'm trying to import the vid but, I cannot locate my iPad in any applications other than iPhoto and iTunes. Imovie only lets me import videos already on my computer.

I will have to review and get back to you. I recall doing it, but cannot recall the exact process. Will have to get on my Mac Book Air when I get home.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi KG10,

Get the App ifiles, in the app choose to add from your library. You will have the option of adding anything in your photos or stream. Once you have the video in ifiles you can connect to it with bluetooth or a browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions