What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring stuff from iPad to iPad2?

Fataliya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first post here, so here goes:

I currently have a first gen iPad (32g 3g/WiFi), but now want the 64g iPad2. The current iPad would go to the hubby. Is it possible to redownload everything Ive paid for on the new iPad, or will I have to pay again? I'll be happy if it allows me to delete from one and redownload for free onto the other.

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first post here, so here goes:

I currently have a first gen iPad (32g 3g/WiFi), but now want the 64g iPad2. The current iPad would go to the hubby. Is it possible to redownload everything Ive paid for on the new iPad, or will I have to pay again? I'll be happy if it allows me to delete from one and redownload for free onto the other.

Thanks!

One of our other Forum posters, 'twerppoet' wrote this on how to transfer your apps etc from your old iPad to the new one. If you're not going to sell the old iPad then you wouldn't want to undertake the final restore, I gues.

I'm certainly no expert at this, so other members will probably have additional help..

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

Fataliya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
One of our other Forum posters, 'twerppoet' wrote this on how to transfer your apps etc from your old iPad to the new one. If you're not going to sell the old iPad then you wouldn't want to undertake the final restore, I gues.

I'm certainly no expert at this, so other members will probably have additional help..

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

Tim
Scotland

Thanks!!!

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another variation - keeping both iPad and iPad2

Old iPad 64 wifi 3g is synched to PC as are wife's iPod and iPhone. I am keeping the iPad and turning it over to wife.

New iPad2 will be synched to MacBook Pro as are my iPod and iPhone currently. iPad has never been synched to MBP.

Want to retain all I have in the iPad as well as move it to iPad2. 10-12 books, 12 movies, 1000 photos, lots of apps, 3000 songs.

So how do I have my cake and eat it too?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Old iPad 64 wifi 3g is synched to PC as are wife's iPod and iPhone. I am keeping the iPad and turning it over to wife.

New iPad2 will be synched to MacBook Pro as are my iPod and iPhone currently. iPad has never been synched to MBP.

Want to retain all I have in the iPad as well as move it to iPad2. 10-12 books, 12 movies, 1000 photos, lots of apps, 3000 songs.

Didn't the 'transfer purchases' suggestion in the earlier post work? If you're getting some sort of error when you try this, let us know and we'll try and work it through. I think I'm missing something here, so please accept my apologies.

Tim
Scotland

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Transfer / copy the data from the PC to the Mac using iTunes. I did this recently when I bought a new PC. I can't imagine it would be harder with a Mac.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand the problem. Unless you want an exact duplicate of your ipad one, on your iPad2. When my iPad2 finally gets here, I'll just add it to itunes as another device, and I'll instantly have access to all the programs I have purchased for the ipad one, and my iphone.

The only thing I'm concerned with is my contacts, since originally synced with outlook, but modified with the contacts I have added manually on the iPad. There are programs, and some music and such I don't want on the ipad2, so I'm not really interested in a "clone" of the ipad one, as long as I can get my contacts off the ipad one.

Can I just get a backup of the contacts?

Don3927

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just log in on your ipad 2, so it will accept all your apps. But the backup should have restored all your apps. If not, just log in on your ipad 2 and re-sync.

JRCL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I migrated perfectly all from iPad to iPad 2 except the books ! I can understand, as I copied them "manually" in the first place. Any idea how I can migrate them now ?
Thx !

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On mine the location would not work on any of the apps or on my deer hunter challenge the score took on a minus. Over 3 days I restored from the one to the two about 4 times and finally gave up and had it restore as new and it downloaded everything from the one but there were all as just downloaded but the two worked correctly this time.

Most reactions