What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transferring music

DanH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
]I recently purchased a new PC my problem all of my music is/was on my old PC. How do I transfer my stuff that's on my Ipad to my new PC without losing all of it?

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't done it with the PC but I just did that with my new Macbook Pro. With the Macbook you just have to download third-party software to the laptop and it goes perfectly by the instructions. With a non-Apple PC/Laptop you should be able to connect your iPad directly (USB) to your computer and drag/drop your music files into your music file on your PC. Since you're not dealing with iTunes, it should be easier for you. You just have to try and if one way doesn't work, the other will. I use POD to MAC. iRip works as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update: The more I think about this, the less comfortable I am suggesting it. While I would do it myself a little digging around has me uncertain that it would go smoothly, and I'd feel pretty rotten if I got someone into a mess. There are several third party solutions (some free) that promise to transfer your iTunes library to a new computer. My recommendation is to research those and pick a good one. Or maybe someone here has experience with one and suggestions.

The easiest way only works if you are going from PC to PC, or Mac to Mac.

Find the iTunes library folder on your old computer. Copy the entire thing to an external hard drive. You can also put both computers on the net and copy the folders over that way. But if it's a big folder it will only take a little less long than forever.

Load and run iTunes on the new computer. Find the iTunes folder it created it. Delete it and replace with the folder from the old computer.

Run iTunes, got to the Store menu and choose Authorize This Computer. Test your ability to play your music.

If you are getting rid of the old computer be sure to open iTunes, go to the Store menu and Deauthorize This Computer. You only get to authorize 5 computers to an account. While there is a way to remove excess computers after the fact, it's a bit of a pain.

If everything you want is already on you iPad, you can just plug it into the new computer with iTunes, refuse the overwrite option, then go to the File menu, and choose Transfer Purchases From. . .

You'll still have to authorize the computer.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or an even easier method, just jailbreak, if not already, and use Ifiles to transfer files to PC/SD card/USB drive(if the one u have works) with camera connector kit. Can be done that way or wirelessly. I harper havimg to go thru iTunes to do simple stuff like that. Main reason I jailbroke was to get Ifiles which allowed me to transfer whateva I wanted without iTunes ;-)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Changed my mind:

There are several third party solutions (some free) that promise to transfer your iTunes library to a new computer. My recommendation is to research those and pick a good one. Or maybe someone here has experience with one, and suggestions.

linam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use iPad transfer to transfer iPad music to your new computer. I have used a ipad transfer for pc, it's easy to use. You can have a try.

Most reactions

Latest posts