What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring .jpg files from Windows to iPad

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that Steve Jobs went out of his way to make Apple devices as incomptible as possible with Microsoft systems. This is a real PITA now that DW has an iPad and I'm still a Microsoftie.

She has just been to japan to visit our son, D-I-L and 2 year old grand-daughter and has come back with 140 photos on her Fuji camera. Our son has posted another 175 photos and sent them to us as an e-mail. They are all .jpg files.

There is absolutely no information on the iPad or in the various books we have that tell us how to transfer .jpg files from a Windows source to the iPad. All they cover is how to transfer from an Apple lap-top to the iPad. It's almost like the iPad and Windows are two incompatible planets in diametrically opposite orbits and never the twain shall meet! Surely to goodness, there's a way to do this.

I'm getting ready to dump DW's iPad in the trash and get her another Windows net-book. Any help to get these files transferred would be appreciated (except by our local divorce lawyers!)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that Steve Jobs went out of his way to make Apple devices as incomptible as possible with Microsoft systems. This is a real PITA now that DW has an iPad and I'm still a Microsoftie.

She has just been to japan to visit our son, D-I-L and 2 year old grand-daughter and has come back with 140 photos on her Fuji camera. Our son has posted another 175 photos and sent them to us as an e-mail. They are all .jpg files.

There is absolutely no information on the iPad or in the various books we have that tell us how to transfer .jpg files from a Windows source to the iPad. All they cover is how to transfer from an Apple lap-top to the iPad. It's almost like the iPad and Windows are two incompatible planets in diametrically opposite orbits and never the twain shall meet! Surely to goodness, there's a way to do this.

I'm getting ready to dump DW's iPad in the trash and get her another Windows net-book. Any help to get these files transferred would be appreciated (except by our local divorce lawyers!)

Does your wife's camera use an SD card to store the photos she takes? If so, Apple makes an adaptor to transfer those photos to an iPad. The card is inserted into the adaptor and the adaptor is plugged into the charging socket. You then open the photos app and tap on the import button at the bottom of the screen. You can then select the photos to transfer by tapping on them. When you've selected all the photos you want to transfer, you can then transfer them to the iPad.

Here's the Apple page about how to do it. iPad: Using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

Here's an Apple thread on how to transfer photos from email to the iPad photos app. https://discussions.apple.com/message/21243100#21243100
This is done after opening the email in your email app on the iPad.

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are also transfer apps available (app store under photography) that allow you to transfer both ways if both devices on the same wifi network. Another possibility is using Dropbox. I've been a Windows user for many many years/generations and an Ipad user since first week of Ipad One. They are not incompatible. Still--the very easiest way to upload photos from an SD card (I'm s photographer also) is to buy the Camera Connect device--and I believe there are 3rd party devices also.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whynot transfer them to computer then use iTunes to synch them to the iPad. I have over 4,000 photos which I transferred this way with no problem at all.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
T

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're already stored on my Win XP computer. A large file of photos our son took were transferred through his employer's file sharing system. I copied my wife's camera photos onto my computer. They still remain on her camera's memory. My wife takes her iPad to gatherings with her friends and would like to show the pictures on it.

The question is "How do I copy large .jpg photo files (about 200MB) from their location on a Win XP desktop to an iPad?"

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First thing: take the blinders off regarding Apple and MS Windows. Apple has lots of customers who use Windows everyday...it would make zero sense for them to make things harder for Windows users than for Apple users.

There are many ways to transfer photos...if the iPad 2 has iOS7 (or any version that supports Photostream), just enable it. Then find the Photostream folder in your Pictures folder and look for the Uploads folder. Any .jpg you copy into that folder will appear on any iOS device that you have Photostream enabled on. Make sure you Windows PC has Photosteam enabled, too, as part of iCloud.

Of course, you're running Windows XP so who knows if that is even supported anymore. MS sure isn't.

You can also get Photo Transfer from the App Store. Many ways.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing you want instructions how to do this but with a little work you would find there are multiple ways to do this. Check out the Photo Transfer app in the app store.

Download the Photostream app for your Win PC and you can copy or move files into the Photostream folder the same as you move any other files in Windows. Scroll to the bottom about setting up Photostream on PC
iCloud: Set up My Photo Stream

Do it from within Itunes--go to Apple support for instructions.
You say your wife still has photos on her camera and would like to transfer to the Ipad also. i've had a Camera Connect device since ipad One--have a new one with Lightning connector for Air (and Amazon had third party devices). its about as simple as it gets. Simply put the SD card in the end of it, insert the Lightning connector end into the port of your Ipad and it will automatically go to Photo app, open it and you can select the photos to be transferred.

Hope that helps. Windows and IOS work fine together with just a bit of information. I've had Windows since before 3.1 and an Ipad since the week the Ipad One came out and I'm a photographer. I offen upload raw files directly to the Ipad for immediate gratification but also upload the same files from my SD card into Photoshop and Lightroom to my Win 7 Pro PC where I process files--and then transfer those jpegs to the iPad.

OP
T

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Copying .jpg files from Windows to iPad2

I've been scrolling through the Forum for most of the afternoon, to try to find an answer to this question, but without success.

My wife just returned from a 10-day trip to visit family in Japan. She has about 120 photos on her camera and our son has sent a file of 180 photos taken by him and by a professional photographer (our 2 year old grand-daughter is a professional model, would you believe!). DW wants to get them onto her iPad2 so she can take it to her various activity groups and show them off.

It's clearly not feasible to download directly from my Windows desktop to her iPad, since it appears that the donor computer has to be running iTunes, not possible on a Windows box. I'm interested in the concept of using a thumb drive to accomplish the copy-over.

There's been some discussion of a "camera adaptor" in some posts. I honestly don't anticipate using the iPad as the initial recipient of camera downloads, as I have good editing capability on my Windows machine and I'm very familiar with it. I have a 4GB Sandisk thumb drive which has a male USB plug as its connection to other devices. The power cable for the iPad works as a USB when not connected to the charger cube, but it also has a male USB plug.

I anticipate that I could get a connecting cable with female USB sockets on each end, so I could plug the thumb drive into one side and the iPad cord into the other. If hooked up this way, and then plugged into the iPad's USB/Power port, will I be able to copy the .jpg files across? I have seen that IOS7 and later (I think we're on 7.1) have limited power to run thumb drives. Is this likely to be a problem?

DW is very anxious to get these photos copied over. She did take a few photos with the iPad's built-in camera, but really wants to get the others copied onto her machine.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been scrolling through the Forum for most of the afternoon, to try to find an answer to this question, but without success.

My wife just returned from a 10-day trip to visit family in Japan. She has about 120 photos on her camera and our son has sent a file of 180 photos taken by him and by a professional photographer (our 2 year old grand-daughter is a professional model, would you believe!). DW wants to get them onto her iPad2 so she can take it to her various activity groups and show them off.

It's clearly not feasible to download directly from my Windows desktop to her iPad, since it appears that the donor computer has to be running iTunes, not possible on a Windows box. I'm interested in the concept of using a thumb drive to accomplish the copy-over.

There's been some discussion of a "camera adaptor" in some posts. I honestly don't anticipate using the iPad as the initial recipient of camera downloads, as I have good editing capability on my Windows machine and I'm very familiar with it. I have a 4GB Sandisk thumb drive which has a male USB plug as its connection to other devices. The power cable for the iPad works as a USB when not connected to the charger cube, but it also has a male USB plug.

I anticipate that I could get a connecting cable with female USB sockets on each end, so I could plug the thumb drive into one side and the iPad cord into the other. If hooked up this way, and then plugged into the iPad's USB/Power port, will I be able to copy the .jpg files across? I have seen that IOS7 and later (I think we're on 7.1) have limited power to run thumb drives. Is this likely to be a problem?

DW is very anxious to get these photos copied over. She did take a few photos with the iPad's built-in camera, but really wants to get the others copied onto her machine.

What type of computer do you use to sync the iPad with? Can't you "just" put the pictures on that computer and then sync them to the iPad?

If you aren't already using a computer to run iTunes and thus sync/back-up the iPad, there is no reason why you can't use a Windows computer. iTunes runs fine on PCs (I'm currently using a PC that is running Windows 7 Professional).

I say all that because, as far as I know, no, you can't directly put photos on an iPad from a USB stick. You have to use a computer (with iTtunes installed) as an intermediary, whether it's a PC or a Mac.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've merged the two threads that you started on this topic as multiple threads on the same topic fractures the conversation, making it hard to follow as well as being against our rules. I've also moved the thread to the iPad Help Forum, where it will receive better attention.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app itself does not lend itself well to the creation and organization of photos unless you're willing to use iTunes on the computer as well. It's possible, but I don't think it's a good fit for what you want to do.

There are quite a few apps out there that will let you transfer, organize, and manage photos on the iPad without using iTunes or the iPad's Photos app. The main disadvantage is that you will have to add photos manually from Photos app when you take them with the iPad, and may have to copy them from the photo management app back to the Photos app if you need to use them in other apps.

But if your main objective is to store and show photos to friends, you won't have to do that often.

Probably the most popular app along these lines is Photo Manager Pro. There are several methods you can use to transfer photos from your computer to the app. Here's a list of them from their site. Linkus

If that app does not suite you, search for other photo management apps in the App Store. They come in all flavors.

Good luck.

OP
T

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey:

The "other" computer I use is currently an eMachines tower running Win XP. I expect to switch to a lap-top with Win 7 shortly, for general use. As the XP box is not powerful enough to handle Win 7.

I plan to keep the old tower but not use it on-line due to is security vulnerability. It will be specifically for doing my photo editing, using "paint.net".

From reading the iPad user guide, I got the impression that its iTunes program would handle the transfer and that it was possible to download from a thumb drive or an SD card. I'm amazed to hear that an Apple program will run on a Windows box. Incidentally, I can't find any icons on my wife's iPad to show that it has any iTunes things other than the Radio program.

My wife loves the iPad, but isn't a computer expert. I'm expected to do all that "technical stuff". Frankly, I hate the damned thing and I'd much prefer she went to a Windows lap-top instead. I'm much more at home with the file structure of Windows, and a real keyboard.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has had iTunes compatability for Windows computers since 2003. They specifically have "iTunes for Windows" available for download on their web site (link: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/).

With iTunes for Windows, you can easily manage the iPad with your Windows computer, to include syncing over any photos from the PC to the iPad.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's Apple's support page on syncing photos via iTunes:

iTunes: Syncing photos

Hold in mind that photo albums you add using iTunes on the computer can only be modified or deleted using the same method. You are syncing (not copying) folders from the computer, a one way sync.

Here is some more info, that might be of interest later on how to use the Photo Streaming and Shared Photo Streams. The later can be used as albums, with a bit more effort/work.

iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

iCloud: Shared Photo Streams FAQ

Most reactions

Latest posts