What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring ibook content to ipad air problems

cedric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
After upgrading to ipad air i tried to transfer all my content( about 57 GB) to my new ipad air via iTunes.
Unfortunately I could not transfer content from iBooks.
On top of that i lost the majority of not itunes store bought PDF's ,very dissapointing.
Anybody who could help to resolve?
I can not remember I deleted anything.
Apple support was a bit cumbersome.

Cedric

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you make a backup if your old ipad and set up your iPad Air from that backup? That's what I do to transfer content from my old device to my new one. Every one of my non iTunes books and PDF's were transferred successfully.

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
After upgrading to ipad air i tried to transfer all my content( about 57 GB) to my new ipad air via iTunes.
Unfortunately I could not transfer content from iBooks.
On top of that i lost the majority of not itunes store bought PDF's ,very dissapointing.
Anybody who could help to resolve?
I can not remember I deleted anything.
Apple support was a bit cumbersome.

Cedric

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately I haven't gone through this issue and I can't give you a very good suggestion. However, if you created a backup, I think that should work out fine. Good luck.

tapioca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I have the same problem. I just received the iPad Air today and followed all the instructions for migrating from my iPad 2 to the new device:
1. made sure iOS was current and backed up the iPad 2 (using iTunes); used encrypted backup to preserve passwords
2. turned on the iPad Air and followed the instructions
3. connected the iPad Air to computer and restored it from the latest iPad 2 backup using iTunes
4. allowed iTunes to completely update all the Apps and did not disconnect iPad Air until told to do so
I had a dozen collections of PDF files that I had "imported" into iBooks via "Open in..." and they are all gone - that is, the collection "structure" is there, there are just no PDF files in each of the collections!
I would love to know how to get them into iBooks on the new iPad Air without having to re-download them individually.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If back up doesn't work I suppose saving them on a place like Dropbox would work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One method is to [re]connect your iPad to iTunes. Then, go to the iPad's "Books" tab (at the top of iTunes).

Ensure the "Sync Books" box is checked, then go into the Books area and check all the books you want to put back onto the iPad. Once you've filled in all the boxes you want, click the "Apply" button and, hopefully, your books/PDFs should sync.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iBooks are no longer stored in the iTunes app. There is a new iBooks app (free) in the Mac App store for organizing and reading your iBooks on a Mac. This happened with OS X Mavericks. If you are on an older version of OS X, then I've no idea what should be expected.

Perversely, even though you can not see the book in iTunes you still have to sync through iTunes.

Hold in mind that PDF files will not transfer back to the the Mac in iTunes or the iBooks store. They never have. Only books purchased in the iBooks store will transfer. Those are either ePub or iBook Author. You can not buy or download PDF files from the iBooks Store.

You can however email PDF files from the iBook app. And PDF files that are added to the iBook Store on the Mac will sync back to the iPad.

So: If you want PDF files in iBooks on the iPad, and you want them backed up on the Mac in iBooks, then add them to the Mac first. Never to the iPad first.

Most reactions

Latest posts