What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring from iPad2 to iPad air

Almostpastit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting a new iPad air in the next few days. At the moment I have a iPad2. Will it be easy to transfer everything from one to the other, the iPad 2 is backed up on my laptop. My wife will be having the iPad 2, at the moment she has an iPad 1. Another question as well please, would it be better to return the iPad 2 to factory setting and let my wife start a fresh or just remove what she doesn't want and leave everything else. At the moment we share the same Apple ID on both iPads
I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Setting up your new device with the backup from iTunes will work this way:

Connect your iOS device to the computer that has your backup.
Make sure this computer has the latest version of iTunes.
Choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up. Or if you're using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click—or Control-click—the device and choose "Restore from Backup."
(Apple Support)

Is your wife's iPad backed up somewhere? Maybe it would be easier setting up the iPad 2 using her backup than deleting apps you have installed at the moment, or installing those she prefers.
If there rarely are differences, maybe it's better just changing your iPad to her preferences. Otherwise better disable "Find my iPad" in Settings - iCloud (just to avoid any complications), delete your iCloud account and set up the device as new, maybe using her backup.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts