1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Transferring emailed files?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by terrypin, Aug 10, 2010.

1. terrypin

terrypin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I needed a file urgently as I'm on holiday and failed to copy it across before I left home. So a friend emailed it to me as an attachment. But how can I now use it? I get message that "Mail cannot open this". (Or maybe "iPad cannot open this"). I want to move it so that it can be used by my Memory-Map app.
  2. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You didn't say the file format of the attachment. Is it Word or another Microsoft file type? Is it PDF?

There are a number of apps geared for those, if you have them installed, as you open mail, the attachment will have an icon of the app that you have to open it in.
  3. terrypin

terrypin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Ivan. This particular case is Memory Map file (.QCT) and I do have that app on my iPad. But more generally I was looking for a way to handle any file type. Guess Apple is much less flexible than MS Windows in this respect?

As mentioned, I was unable even to do anything with the QCT.

---
    Terry
  4. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Just a thought but could they open the file and post it on a web page and send you the address.
    Would solve anyproblems regarding the file format.
  5. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ...or they could drop it in your Dropbox cloud storage via an gethabilis email address.

Get yourself a free two GB Dropbox. Install the app on the iPad and the app on your computer. You can also get to your Dropbox via the web. Once that is confirmed, install habilis mail, they'll give you an address. Once it's set up, any document sent to that address winds up in your Dropbox. It's very quick. Note that theres a max to 5mb files.