What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring emailed files?

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I needed a file urgently as I'm on holiday and failed to copy it across before I left home. So a friend emailed it to me as an attachment. But how can I now use it? I get message that "Mail cannot open this". (Or maybe "iPad cannot open this"). I want to move it so that it can be used by my Memory-Map app.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I needed a file urgently as I'm on holiday and failed to copy it across before I left home. So a friend emailed it to me as an attachment. But how can I now use it? I get message that "Mail cannot open this". (Or maybe "iPad cannot open this"). I want to move it so that it can be used by my Memory-Map app.

You didn't say the file format of the attachment. Is it Word or another Microsoft file type? Is it PDF?

There are a number of apps geared for those, if you have them installed, as you open mail, the attachment will have an icon of the app that you have to open it in.

OP
terrypin

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Ivan. This particular case is Memory Map file (.QCT) and I do have that app on my iPad. But more generally I was looking for a way to handle any file type. Guess Apple is much less flexible than MS Windows in this respect?

As mentioned, I was unable even to do anything with the QCT.

---
Terry

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a thought but could they open the file and post it on a web page and send you the address.
Would solve anyproblems regarding the file format.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...or they could drop it in your Dropbox cloud storage via an gethabilis email address.

Get yourself a free two GB Dropbox. Install the app on the iPad and the app on your computer. You can also get to your Dropbox via the web. Once that is confirmed, install habilis mail, they'll give you an address. Once it's set up, any document sent to that address winds up in your Dropbox. It's very quick. Note that theres a max to 5mb files.

Most reactions

Latest posts