What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring comics to IPAD online...need advice

vanexel711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Brand new to this forum. Just got my iPad today. It's primarily to read comics.

So here's the deal. I have a hard drive of comics; mostly in CBR format. I want to have them accessible anywhere I travel to, and be able to swap them in/out of my iPad as I see fit over the internet. I have the 16gb Wi-Fi model.

What apps do I need to make my hard drive accessible online? I guess I basically want it to act as a server to my ipad.

Additionally, once the comics are on the iPad, how would I get my comics reader to play them?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You want your home computer to be visible to the Internet?

Maybe dropbox would be a better solution?

OP
V

vanexel711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have started working with Comic Zeal, as it is the best app so far for comics that I've encountered.

The problem I've had with the app, however, is that the SyncDocs program only works if the iPad and the computer that has the hard drive are on the same wifi server.

That won't happen when I'm traveling. So I need an "online" solution.

I already have LogMeIn, which allows me access to my computer anywhere I'm at. What I need is access plus a way of transferring the comic files onto the iPad.

OP
V

vanexel711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You want your home computer to be visible to the Internet?

Maybe dropbox would be a better solution?

Thanks USBill. Would dropbox allow me to transfer the files onto the iPad?

OP
V

vanexel711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So Goodreader could transfer the files, but it couldn't read it. And then I'd be in the same situation I was in before because the files are not accessible through the comic reading program, right?

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Reader can read the comics. What format are your comics in. I would say the best way is to either used DropBox or if you have a MobileMe account use that as a cloud server and good reader. I tried to upload a picture from my ipad of me reading the origional xman series on Good Reader on here but it wouldnt work.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a free comic reader for the comp that will convert them to PDF

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have started working with Comic Zeal, as it is the best app so far for comics that I've encountered.

The problem I've had with the app, however, is that the SyncDocs program only works if the iPad and the computer that has the hard drive are on the same wifi server.

That won't happen when I'm traveling. So I need an "online" solution.

I already have LogMeIn, which allows me access to my computer anywhere I'm at. What I need is access plus a way of transferring the comic files onto the iPad.
I agree, ComicZeal is the best comics app. DropBox support is coming in the next update, which has already been sent to Apple and should hit the app store any day now.

OP
V

vanexel711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the update, and tried DL'ing a comic from the DropBox app. Said it couldn't read the .cbr file. Going to try it with another comic and see what happens.

UPDATE: No dice. Drop Box says it can't open the .cbr format, and comic zeal has no place for drop box in its new update. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Saundman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPad, CBR files can be transfered from Dropbox to Comic Zeal now
x29jcx.jpg

but it only does it one file at a time:(

Most reactions

Latest posts