What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring apps to new ipad

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn't a new iPad have the newest software?
It depends on how long ago the iPad left the factory in China. If the iPad left China just before iOS 9.1 was released, it could very well have iOS 9.0.2 installed when you buy it.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on how long ago the iPad left the factory in China. If the iPad left China just before iOS 9.1 was released, it could very well have iOS 9.0.2 installed when you buy it.
Ok, it was 8.4. I updated to 9.1. Can you please tell me now how to transfer apps as I have already set up as a new iPad? Thank you.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JOK, it was 8.4. I updated to 9.1. Can you please tell me now how to transfer apps as I have already set up as a new iPad? Thank you.
Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings".
This will set it back to factory settings.

When you set it up afterwards, you should be able to choose an iCloud backup from your iPad to restore from.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings".
This will set it back to factory settings.

When you set it up afterwards, you should be able to choose an iCloud backup from your iPad to restore from.
It worked, but all of my games are on the first level. Can I fix this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the games are backed up (see Settings - iCloud - Storage - Manage Storage - old iPad), their data will be restored to your new device.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the games are backed up (see Settings - iCloud - Storage - Manage Storage - old iPad), their data will be restored to your new device.
All of my games were clicked to the green, but only a couple transferred with the right level. Most of them went to a brand new game.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of my games were clicked to the green, but only a couple transferred with the right level. Most of them went to a brand new game.
What can I do to get these games back?

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless they're backed up to iCloud or to iTunes on your computer, there's no way to recover the data that's missing from your apps and games.
How do I try again? Do I have to wipe my new iPad clean again?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do I try again? Do I have to wipe my new iPad clean again?
If the app data was backed up to iCloud, restoring your iPad from the iCloud backup may help if the missing data was the result of a faulty download the first time around. If the missing app data is not in your iCloud backup for whatever reason, restoring your iPad again won't help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some game apps don't save their levels/progress in the backup. It's up to the developer to decide exactly what they backup, and where. Apple provides the ability, but it does not force developers to use it.

Some games save their levels in Game Center instead. If the game uses Game Center, and you have not signed back in to Game Center, or enabled it in the app, then do so and see if your app updates.

And a few other games keep their levels synced through other services like FaceBook.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some game apps don't save their levels/progress in the backup. It's up to the developer to decide exactly what they backup, and where. Apple provides the ability, but it does not force developers to use it.

Some games save their levels in Game Center instead. If the game uses Game Center, and you have not signed back in to Game Center, or enabled it in the app, then do so and see if your app updates.

And a few other games keep their levels synced through other services like FaceBook.
Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts