What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfering data iPad1 -> iPad2 questions...

Kandjar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an iPad1, and I ordered the iPad2 (but haven't received it yet).

What I'd like is to be able to transfer the data from the iPad1 to the iPad2 (to not loose save games) as a one time sync. Meaning, I don't want the iPad1 and the iPad2 to stay in sync with each other...

I heard that it was possible to import a backup made with the iPad1 in the iPad2; but will that not make itunes synchronize the two devices together? (meaning: if I delete an app from the iPad, then sync w/ itunes, then sync the iPad2 w/ itunes, the app will also get deleted from the iPad2)

Will this happen?
If yes, will changing the name of the device solve the problem?
otherwise, is there a way to desync the devices?

Thanks!
Kandjar

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an iPad1, and I ordered the iPad2 (but haven't received it yet).

What I'd like is to be able to transfer the data from the iPad1 to the iPad2 (to not loose save games) as a one time sync. Meaning, I don't want the iPad1 and the iPad2 to stay in sync with each other...

I heard that it was possible to import a backup made with the iPad1 in the iPad2; but will that not make itunes synchronize the two devices together? (meaning: if I delete an app from the iPad, then sync w/ itunes, then sync the iPad2 w/ itunes, the app will also get deleted from the iPad2)

Will this happen?
If yes, will changing the name of the device solve the problem?
otherwise, is there a way to desync the devices?

Thanks!
Kandjar

One of our frequent posters, twerppoet, suggested this: -

---------------------------

In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.
------------------

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

Kandjar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I understand the suggestion from twerppoet however, my goal is slightly different. I want to keep both iPads, as well as: I'd like to copy the app/saves/data which are currently on the first iPad to the second one without loosing them from the first iPad. By doing the backup/restore from the first iPad to the second, in my understanding, they will both end up having: the same settings, the same apps installed, the save games/app data... What I don't want is: once the previous step is done; I would like to make sure both iPad don't stay in sync; meaning: if I install or remove an app from one of them, I don't want it to be replicated to the other one. Does that make sense?

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do this. Each device will sync separately. I sync two phones on my Mac, and they maintain their individual syncs.

Most reactions

Latest posts