What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer to new iPad

Richard Hexter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has an iPad which is 3 years old. It is beginning to slow, the battery seems to retain less and less charge, and generally she is losing confidence in it. We are therefore in the market for a new iPad, but my main thought here is, when the new one arrives, what is the best/easiest way of transferring all of her photos from one to the other? She does not currently use Dropbox or iCloud for any storage. I do have a laptop, though. The old iPad is likely to find its way to a grandson, so it needs to be emptied. Once any transfers of information has been done I suppose a 'factory reset' is the best way?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do a full backup of the iPad to iTunes on the computer. After doing the backup, make sure to turn off find my iPad then go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. This will return the iPad to factory settings, leaving it in the same state it was in when first purchased. You can then give it to the grandson and he can set it up as a new iPad with his own iTunes account.
Connect the new iPad to iTunes on the computer and do a restore. This will make sure the latest iOS version is installed and will ask if you want to set it up as a new iPad or use the backup you just made. Select the backup option and everything that was on the old iPad will be restored to the new iPad.

BTW, you should do the restore and set up from backup on the new iPad before erasing the old iPad in case there is a problem. If there is, you can make a new backup of the old iPad and try again. It also ensures that you won't lose any of your data with no way to recover it.

Last edited:
OP
Richard Hexter

Richard Hexter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for this. I've saved it until the new iPad is purchased.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Let us know how you get along when the new iPad arrives.

Most reactions

Latest posts