What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer podcast list from iPad to Laptop

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My laptop crashe spectacularly and I had to use the rescue DVDs to restore it. iTunes disappeared of course and had to be re-installed. Now I want the podcasts listed on the iPad to be copied to iTunes.

All I seem to get is the option to delete everything in the iPad and 'Sync' with the empty iTunes list!

Help please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, make sure the computer is authorized in the Store menu of iTunes.

With your iPad connected and selecting in iTunes, try using the Menu item Files > Devices > Transfer Purchases.

This should copy all your iTunes content from the iPad back to iTunes. I'm not sure whether this will work with Podcast subscriptions, but it's worth a try.

Make sure the Podcast sync settings are turned on in iTunes.

Make sure Podcasts has Sync Podcasts turned on in the iPad's settings.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, make sure the computer is authorized in the Store menu of iTunes.

With your iPad connected and selecting in iTunes, try using the Menu item Files > Devices > Transfer Purchases.

This should copy all your iTunes content from the iPad back to iTunes. I'm not sure whether this will work with Podcast subscriptions, but it's worth a try.

Make sure the Podcast sync settings are turned on in iTunes.

Make sure Podcasts has Sync Podcasts turned on in the iPad's settings.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Thanks for your input. I had done all that. Unfortunately, it doesn't transfer podcasts.

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it at least sync the subscriptions themselves? You can always tap on the podcasts to download them.
Afraid not - the iTunes podcast list remains blank. If I try to Sync podcasts iTunes wants to copy its blank list to the iPad! That would be pretty useless.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bummer. Sounds like you'll have to re-subscribe in iTunes on the computer and then sync back to the iPad.

Personally, I prefer the Overcast app. It syncs between iPhone and iPad, but not iTunes or the computer. Though there is a limited feature website you can use to listen from the computer. But it doesn't do video casts, if you need those.

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer. Sounds like you'll have to re-subscribe in iTunes on the computer and then sync back to the iPad.

Personally, I prefer the Overcast app. It syncs between iPhone and iPad, but not iTunes or the computer. Though there is a limited feature website you can use to listen from the computer. But it doesn't do video casts, if you need those.
TVM. I don't need video but, as you say "bummer". Why, when iTunes copies apps from iDevices, doesn't it copy the podcast list? Makes no sense whatsoever.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Podcasts are part content, part subscription, and part playlist. The've never fit neatly into iTunes, even though there were practically born in the iOS world.

Believe it or not, native app support is better than it was, but still falls short of some of the better third party apps. Of which there are many. Not ones I've used myself. Overcast is the only app I've used besides the native Podcasts app, mostly because I'd been a fairly light podcast listener before I got Overcast.

Here is a list of some of the better podcast apps; the ones I've seen recommended.I haven't doen enough research to know which of these have native iPad apps (not just iPhone versions). The ones that don't will probably work on the iPad, but not look all that great.

Overcast FM
Downcast *
iCatcher
PocketCasts
Pod Wrangler
Instacast *
Castro

* These appear to have Mac apps in the Mac App Store (for the desktop). They may have Windows apps too. No idea. If they do, there is a fair chance they will sync with the iOS version.

Most reactions