Transfer photos to an external hard drive without using a laptop

Discussion in 'iPad for Photographers' started by LavenderTwin2, Nov 3, 2016.

1. LavenderTwin2

LavenderTwin2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an external hard drive connected to my internet, but can't seem to transfer photos to it using my iPad Pro. I don't have a working lap top. I have 200G storage using Apple Cloud, but I've always been a little confused as to how to store photos on the cloud while not having those photos on my iPad, in order to free up space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. LavenderTwin2

LavenderTwin2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I've done some reading from previous posts. It seems that you can't store photos using the Cloud and not have them on your devices, as well. Dang! I do have Flickr, so that is definitely an option. I still want to be able to have my photos on my Seagate External Hard drive, without having to buy a laptop to do it. I love Apple, but the lack of a USB port is a real bummer. Before I bought my iPad Pro, I really investigated non Apple options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lavender..... - welcome to the forum! :) First, you will not be able to use your external HD w/ a USB attachment on an iPad like you would on a Mac computer (or a PC). Second, take a look at this POST that I left in the forums a year ago - some of the information will not apply to you w/o a computer, but several external 'storage' devices are mentioned. Since that post, many more external options have become available - take a look at this Amazon Search for some more considerations. Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are other "cloud" solutions which don't have the same limitations as Apple's iCloud storage.

One that I use regularly in box.com. Can't remember how much free storage you get but it's enough to store quite a few photographs (100s)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    WEstern Digital has some great NAS options like MyBook Live and MyCloud Live that have iOS apps used for picture management and other content management.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List