What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Photos From iPad to PC - Only Copies!

doobage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 5GB of photos on my iPad for which there is no backup.

I originally copied these photos to the iPad from a PC.

However, I accidentally formatted the drive where the photos were stored on the PC. And I've tried to recover them without success.

Is there a way to transfer them from the iPad to PC using an app, accessory, or hack? Obviously, given the number and size of the files, emailing them is not an acceptable solution.

Thanks in advance.

ksm1267

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have same problem, did you find a solution?

My story is I synced all 2000 (1.8 gb) of photos from an imac that I returned, to my ipad thinking I could use my ipad to transfer the photos back to another computer. But now I am reading that I cannot do this. Unless I upload them all to mobile me gallery from the ipad, then download them from the mobileme gallery to my PC? I now have windows 7 laptop pc. Did you find a solution yet? I am going to be a dead man (wife will do it) if I lose these photos or have the only copies in existence on my ipad! Help!!!

doesn't the mobileme option reduce the file size and resolution of the original photo? Most of the photos were taken with a 5 MP kodak digital camera...

OP
D

doobage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no luck

Haven't found a solution for pulling pictures off of the iPad.

Think the only solution may be to jailbreak your device. Which if you're planning to do, you should wait for the iOS 4.0 release before doing so.

I can't believe Apple didn't anticipate this functionality - sure it has something to do with the pictures getting swept into the DRM issues related to music and videos.

Good luck and let me know if you find a solution.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my PC using Windows XP, when I am in Windows Explorer and my ipad is connected to the PC, my ipad is shown under "My Computer" and when I click on it, my pictures are listed. I would imagine they could be pulled into a directory on my PC but I don't know if there is any degradation in quality.

OP
D

doobage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution is for Photos you've Saved via E-mail

Your solution is only for photos you've saved to the iPad via e-mail. We're looking for a way to pull pictures off the iPad that were once transfered to the device via iTunes.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Xilisoft iPhone Transfer program will transfer any picture from your photo albums on your iPad to your computer regardless of how they got there.

bailider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad to PC Transfer is a perfect transfer tool among iPad, iPod, iPhone and personal computer for iPad users. This iPad transfer helps you transfer iPad/iPod/iPhone music, video, photos, iPod podcast and TV program to computer and vice versa.

dvdipadconverter.org/ipad_to_pc_transfer__-18-software.html

ksm1267

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the photo transfer app works!

So, it was mentioned in another thread on this site about a $2.99 app called "photo transfer" in the app store- I was skeptical of it, thinking it would either shrink my photo file sizes down or be too buggy and time consuming to work well....I was wrong! That app is awesome and well worth the 3 bucks. It basically assigns an ip address that both your computer and the ipad share on the "local" network (not uploading to a website then downloading from a website like an online photo gallery). So, it only does a maximum of 64 photos at one time, but it transfers 64 photos at full file size and resolution in about 5-10 seconds! Straight to a zipped folder on your PC where you can extract the files and store anywhere. So, at 64 photos per transfer, it still took awhile to do 2000 photos, but man was it worth it to get my only existing copies of family photos off my ipad!!:D

J.adpeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem there

On my PC using Windows XP, when I am in Windows Explorer and my ipad is connected to the PC, my ipad is shown under "My Computer" and when I click on it, my pictures are listed. I would imagine they could be pulled into a directory on my PC but I don't know if there is any degradation in quality.

Unfortunatley if you have tried this you will notice that the photos that appear in the internal drive when this window pops up are only the saved images you have manually saved via your iPad. For example: snapshots, internet saved photos, and other photos that have been stored manually using the iPad unlike the iPhone that allows all photos and albums to be synced to your PC.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Unfortunatley if you have tried this you will notice that the photos that appear in the internal drive when this window pops up are only the saved images you have manually saved via your iPad. For example: snapshots, internet saved photos, and other photos that have been stored manually using the iPad unlike the iPhone that allows all photos and albums to be synced to your PC.

That's strange because when I look at the directory under My Computer ALL of my photos from ALL sources are there. The ones I've synced with my PC, the ones I've saved from emails, and the ones I've downloaded via my camera connection kit. All 708 photos from all sources are shown in the directory.

Oh well, this is my first Apple product so what do I know, I'm still learning. :)

Last edited:

Golddigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moving photos from iPad to PC a huge pain (and yes, you may need to do it sometime, and no, Apple doesn't make it easy for you).

1. My PC does not read any iPad photos except for those in the saved folder when clicking through the iPad icon in my computer. I can't drag and drop photos in albums (unlike my iPhone).
2. The pretty smart "iPad transfer" app is limited to 64 pics at a time, which makes it pretty arduous for larger numbers.

The easiest, cheapest work around I found:

The Photo-Sort app allows photos from albums to be copied en masse (a still arduous single finger click on each thumbnail - I couldn't find a select all functionality) to create extra files and extra folders.

These extra files - or whole folders - can be placed by wi-fi on to the home computer without a cap on numbers.

The final hitch is opening the ftp web site on the computer in windows explorer (go to view, open as FTP with windows explorer), which allows the whole albums to then be downloaded to the computer.

Haven't checked file size changes, but they seem to be coming across as pretty big.

That's the best I have come up with. Good luck. I think iPad's functionality as an on-the-go photo storage device is pretty sucky.

Darr1960

iPF Noob
Reaction score
photo transfer

I use iphone explorer freeware

it opens up the ipad showing 2 selections apps and media go to media- select then you get a range of folders from applications to itune control your photos are in the a folder marked DCIM similar to folder name in a digital camera.

then in a folder with the suffix MPRT at the end of it is where your pics are then just select drag and drop photos on to your desktop or drag them into a folder simple!

KawiKami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moving photos from iPad to PC a huge pain (and yes, you may need to do it sometime, and no, Apple doesn't make it easy for you).

1. My PC does not read any iPad photos except for those in the saved folder when clicking through the iPad icon in my computer. I can't drag and drop photos in albums (unlike my iPhone).
2. The pretty smart "iPad transfer" app is limited to 64 pics at a time, which makes it pretty arduous for larger numbers.

The easiest, cheapest work around I found:

The Photo-Sort app allows photos from albums to be copied en masse (a still arduous single finger click on each thumbnail - I couldn't find a select all functionality) to create extra files and extra folders.

These extra files - or whole folders - can be placed by wi-fi on to the home computer without a cap on numbers.

The final hitch is opening the ftp web site on the computer in windows explorer (go to view, open as FTP with windows explorer), which allows the whole albums to then be downloaded to the computer.

Haven't checked file size changes, but they seem to be coming across as pretty big.

That's the best I have come up with. Good luck. I think iPad's functionality as an on-the-go photo storage device is pretty sucky.

There is a way to mass select, without tapping each! I found out by accident. Tap and hold a photo for 1 second, then you can slide your finger across and it will select each photo you touch. I start at left corner and go left to right, drop down one, right to left. If you have the bottom half of the top row showing and the top half of the bottom row showing, it even allows for an extra row each time. Enjoy.

EDIT: I signed up just to say this. LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts