What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer photos from ipad 2 to XP PC

kinellv8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have about 50GB of photos taken from a recent trip through Asia and I want to take them from my ipad to my PC running XP.
Here's what I've tried prior to coming here to ask whether I should just buy the app, and which one.

Using the Windows file transfer process for some reason fails. I don't know why but it gives a "communication with the server was lost". I'm doing it through a USB. I could eventually see the photos but not the DCIM folder nor could I explore, only using the XP process for getting photos. Through the forums I understand the PC should read the Ipad as a device and be able to use explorer to navigate. This approach would be fine, but I don't see the folder. I've turned off the firewall and antivirus, though the antivirus may have automatically turned on during the transfer. I'm going to check that now.
If I can get this free method to work then I see no reason not to use it. Besides, it has the advantage of not limiting the number of files for transfer. I don't want to have to select 100 photos at a time, there are over 5000 photos.

I've looked at Photo Transfer and it suffers from the 100 images and only 5 minutes of video.
Cucu something, (my computer is rebooting but the program looked popular) It's pricey at $30.

I've not seen much else for this purpose.

So, what other reason may there be for the windows file transfer process not working? If it doesn't work for me, which app, are there alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have also been investigating this process and in the past I used my IPod as a "mass storage" device whilst away from the PC and on that, one could access the DCIM folder via explorer. From what I have found so far is that the pad has very limited talking between apps and there is not a common accessible file system (normal IPads anyway).

If I understand you correctly you have tried to transfer images using the Win wizard in control panel (my case Win XP) this has worked for me but I am using the standard cable and not via the camera connector which maybe you are doing?? The wizard in my case finds the IPad standard location for photos I.e. Those that are associated with Camera Roll but the image outputted is a reduced pixel (72ppi) size compatible to the IPad.

There are a couple Apps I have seen Filterstorm Pro and piRWana that provide a lot of power (possibly more than we both need) but they do indicate that full transfer is possible and they are much cheap than $30. Filterstorm suggest it is good for the photo correspondent !! But what is not clear is if the app has to be in place to receive the upload from the camera I.e.it may not access original full size files (if they exist) in your case. It may need a question asked on the developer web site or maybe someone this Forum has more info.

Anyway just a few thoughts that may help

Cheers

Most reactions