What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer My Documents folder from PC to iPad

andreas999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I use a PC and have just got myself an iPad - is it possible to transfer all the documents (word, powerpoint, pdf, excel etc) in the My Documents folder from the PC to the iPad? Preferably also maintaining the subfolder structures?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Best,
Andreas

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used the GoodReader app.
If you look carefully on their website they have a free program called GoodReaderUSB.exe which gives you a small explorer type window to drag and drop onto the iPad when it's connected. Theres also a mac varient as well.

You could also use Dropbox if you're happy to take some time over this.
Another option is to use a network file browser and leave them where they are :) Think mines called iFiles, but can't check as both pads in use atm.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Get a free Dropbox account and download both the PC version and the iPad version of the Dropbox app. On the PC, make your My Documents folder your Dropbox folder and it will then sync to the cloud. Then, on the iPad, you can open Dropbox and it will have your My Documents listed.

Depending on how large your MyDocs folder on the PC is, you may have to be choosy on what all gets sync'd.

Apps like Documents To Go Premium will also connect to dropbox on the cloud and allow you to edit a wide range of Office documents.

OP
A

andreas999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a free Dropbox account and download both the PC version and the iPad version of the Dropbox app. On the PC, make your My Documents folder your Dropbox folder and it will then sync to the cloud. Then, on the iPad, you can open Dropbox and it will have your My Documents listed.

Depending on how large your MyDocs folder on the PC is, you may have to be choosy on what all gets sync'd.

Apps like Documents To Go Premium will also connect to dropbox on the cloud and allow you to edit a wide range of Office documents.

Thanks. This way, will the docs be stored locally on my ipad, so that i have access on planes etc? Or will they be in the cloud?

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too use dropbox. You can save dropbox files by clicking the "star" on a file via the iPad app.

This saves a hard copy on your device.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, but what if he wants to "transfer all the documents (word, powerpoint, pdf, excel etc) in the My Documents folder from the PC to the iPad?"

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, but what if he wants to "transfer all the documents (word, powerpoint, pdf, excel etc) in the My Documents folder from the PC to the iPad?"

:confused:

But what if he wants access against all devices, home computer and work computer? We don't know his full setup, needs or wants. So we an only offer what products we like to use and why, so he can make an informed choice...;)

OP
A

andreas999

iPF Noob
Reaction score

:confused:

But what if he wants access against all devices, home computer and work computer? We don't know his full setup, needs or wants. So we an only offer what products we like to use and why, so he can make an informed choice...;)

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your help. Ideally, I would want to periodically make a full replica of my My Documents folder to my ipad, so I will be ensured full access to all my files also when I travel without wifi access. When I do travel, I do not always know what files I would need access to in advance, so solutions which require copying files one at the time are not to helpful. Neithet are solutions which do not maintain the subfolder structures. From what you guys write, it sounds to me as the dropbox solution is the closest I can get - sounds like this fulfills all my desires as long as I have wifi access.

I am totally new to Apple products and while I love the interface in general, I am a little disappointed that "easy" things like this prove to be so difficult.

Thanks again for all your help!

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andreas999 said:
Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your help. Ideally, I would want to periodically make a full replica of my My Documents folder to my ipad, so I will be ensured full access to all my files also when I travel without wifi access. When I do travel, I do not always know what files I would need access to in advance, so solutions which require copying files one at the time are not to helpful. Neithet are solutions which do not maintain the subfolder structures. From what you guys write, it sounds to me as the dropbox solution is the closest I can get - sounds like this fulfills all my desires as long as I have wifi access.

I am totally new to Apple products and while I love the interface in general, I am a little disappointed that "easy" things like this prove to be so difficult.

Thanks again for all your help!

Remember that the iPad does nut have a file management system like the Mac or PC. Just getting your files accessible to the iPad is only half of the battle. The other half is being able to get those files into a program that will display their contents.

You are going to need a program that can access the cloud after you put a new document up there and save it locally then, if you have modified the document, copy it back to the cloud when you regain Internet access.

The options that come to mind which allow reading and editing Office files are Documents To Go and Quickoffice. I have purchased Documents To Go back in my PDA days and again for the iPad and have never gotten along with it. I haven't used Quickoffice yet to know if it is any better. So far I have found that neither of them like Excel charts.

Another possible option would be to email yourself the documents you want to have along with you and open them in GoodReader or, if their iPad versions will open Office files, in Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you looked into remote login apps? Granted, you'll need wifi/3g access, but you'd be able to access all your desktop files.

Then, if need be, you can save a copy of that file into Dropbox for later viewing on your iPad.

I once used remote login to open a Powerpoint slide on my home PC an hour away, save it as a PDF, put it into my Dropbox (which is a file folder on my PC), open Goodreader on my iPad, download the file from Dropbox and use the file in class to take notes. All done in a few minutes.

So long as there's Internet access - I love me some remote login!

Just a thought...

Marilyn

Cpassamani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The way that i used is: i use documents to GO premium in the iPad and use documents to GO desktop instaled in my pc. just add the folders that you want to send to iPad and the software send the files and folders to the documents to GO at The iPad.
Sorry if i wasnt clear. But its not hard.

Most reactions