What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer music from MacBook Air to 2017 IPad

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I uploaded a new cd to my MacBook Air via iTunes today fulliy expecting the music to transfer over to both my iPad and also my iPhone. Didn’t happen. Photos transfer effortlessly among all our devices so I’m sure I’ve missed something in settings. Hope you can suggest what I’ve missed. Thanks in advance.

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I managed to get the eight songs transferred over to the iPad but it required hooking up to the MacBook with the cable and then fiddling with the songs to select them all and then copying over. Then on the iPad in the Music App had to manually select each song to download. Not a very smooth operation. I wonder if this is Apple’s way of telling me to buy music through iTunes.

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can add music purchased elsewhere to iTunes. after that, it will sync to your iPad like any music purchased through iTunes.
iTunes for Windows: Import music and video already on your computer
iTunes for Mac: Import music and video already on your computer
Actually SciFan, I called Apple this morning and was told that transferring via cable from the MacBook to the iPad was the only way to accomplish this. I was surprised by this because I was hoping music would move among my devices much the same way photos do. The tech could not explain why but said she had gotten other questions about the same process. I do like to use the cable for backups so I might just use those sessions for music transfer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually SciFan, I called Apple this morning and was told that transferring via cable from the MacBook to the iPad was the only way to accomplish this. I was surprised by this because I was hoping music would move among my devices much the same way photos do. The tech could not explain why but said she had gotten other questions about the same process. I do like to use the cable for backups so I might just use those sessions for music transfer.

Hello - I've always dislike music transfers from iTunes and cabling is certainly needed (have not investigated their cloud services, so cannot comment); also, I do my iTunes transfers in manual mode (vs. the trickier automatic sync) - usually define a 'Playlist(s)' in my computer, plug in my iDevice (after about 4 w/ music) and simply drag the Playlists to the device - works fine. A recent nice summary of both methods can be found HERE.

NOW, there are iTunes alternatives - I'll just mention a few that I use: 1) File Managers - let me use iMazing as an example; also have iExplorer - both require cabling; 2) Wireless Devices - many available - I own two w/ one shown, the RavPower Hub - check the link, if interested; and 3) iPad Apps Playing Your Purchased Music - will mention one example w/ Amazon.

Retuning to iMazing (iPad Cabled to MBPro), the 'Music App' can be selected (circled icon on first pic below); iTunes transfer to iPad is an option; next 2 pics show transfer of a Schubert album to my iPad and then a Playlist defined on the device - believe that iExplorer can do the same (but not tested). Now is this any easier that using iTunes? Well, probably more intuitive; also, the app can be used to do iPad backups cabled.

Finally, over the decades, I've purchased well over 600 CDs from Amazon - w/ their app on my iPad Air 2, I can play any of these albums over my home Wi-Fi network (or other one like in a hotel); listening options include the iPad speakers, device cabled to my den receiver AUX port, and to BT speakers or headphones (or even in my car - the radio accepts BT input). Dave :)
Music1a.png
Music1b.png
Music2.PNG
Music3.PNG
Music4.png
Music5.PNG

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - I've always dislike music transfers from iTunes and cabling is certainly needed (have not investigated their cloud services, so cannot comment); also, I do my iTunes transfers in manual mode (vs. the trickier automatic sync) - usually define a 'Playlist(s)' in my computer, plug in my iDevice (after about 4 w/ music) and simply drag the Playlists to the device - works fine. A recent nice summary of both methods can be found HERE.

NOW, there are iTunes alternatives - I'll just mention a few that I use: 1) File Managers - let me use iMazing as an example; also have iExplorer - both require cabling; 2) Wireless Devices - many available - I own two w/ one shown, the RavPower Hub - check the link, if interested; and 3) iPad Apps Playing Your Purchased Music - will mention one example w/ Amazon.

Retuning to iMazing (iPad Cabled to MBPro), the 'Music App' can be selected (circled icon on first pic below); iTunes transfer to iPad is an option; next 2 pics show transfer of a Schubert album to my iPad and then a Playlist defined on the device - believe that iExplorer can do the same (but not tested). Now is this any easier that using iTunes? Well, probably more intuitive; also, the app can be used to do iPad backups cabled.

Finally, over the decades, I've purchased well over 600 CDs from Amazon - w/ their app on my iPad Air 2, I can play any of these albums over my home Wi-Fi network (or other one like in a hotel); listening options include the iPad speakers, device cabled to my den receiver AUX port, and to BT speakers or headphones (or even in my car - the radio accepts BT input). Dave :)
View attachment 80501 View attachment 80502 View attachment 80503 View attachment 80504 View attachment 80505 View attachment 80506

View attachment 80501 View attachment 80502 View attachment 80503 View attachment 80504 View attachment 80505 View attachment 80506

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've actually gotten a lot more comfortable with the process after repeating a few of the needed moves with iTunes. The transfer of music on the disc takes a few minutes and then if you want to type in the names of the album, artist and names of songs that'll take a few minutes. From there hook up the iPad/iPhone with a cable and it's drag and drop to the device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That is kinda true, and yet there is another way.

iCloud Music Library will upload your non-iTunes songs to iCloud and make them available on your iPad or iPhone, as long as it is enabled on all devices/computers using the same Apple ID (iTunes Account). By default the songs are only streamed, but you can manually download them to the iPad. If Opimize Storage is turned off in Settings > Music, they should stay downloaded. If it is on, they may be deleted (become streaming only again) when storage is low or they haven’t been played in a long time.

This does count against your icloud storage limit, so if you have more than a handful of songs you’ll probably need to buy more storage. You can get 50 GB for about $1 US per month. That’s plenty big for most people’s music library.

Turn on iCloud Music Library

If you also get an Apple Music subscription, iCloud Music Library becomes smarter. It will look at the songs on the MacBook, and if they are available in the iTunes Store it will add them to the Music app just as if they had been purchased. Only songs not available in the store will be uploaded to icloud storage for streaming.

Of course, an Apple Music subscription costs bit more than extra icloud storage, so it wouldn’t be worth it if you don’t want the other features.

iTunes Match used to combine these two features (for a subscription). When Apple Music came out the song matching went to Apple Music, and the iCloud streaming went to the (kinda free) iCloud Music Library.

At least this is how I understand iCloud Music Library and Apple Music work. I have both, and havn’t noticed any big issues.

Pay close attention to what you choose when enabling either service. If you choose poorly you can end up creating duplicates; which can take a while to clean up.

Last edited:
OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided not to push my iCloud storage beyond my photo and backup needs. I’m an old guy and don’t want to leave my family with any ongoing and unexplained monthly charges. Now that I’ve practiced adding my favorites—mostly jazz—I’m happy with what I’ve learned. Yesterday I found I could play music through my car’s system via the iPad/iPhone through the Bluetooth connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts