What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Kindle Book From iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

egunner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Kindle (ebook) and loaded it directly onto my iPad3.
How do I copy the book onto my PC (non-apple type)?
When I open itunes and try to load new purchases from my iPad to itunes (on my PC) it doesn't transfer it.
Is there some way to load my "ebooks" be it Kindle or other ones onto my PC? I would like to do this as a backup.

egunner

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can just backup your iPad..(using Itunes or iCloud, though I'm not 100% sure the Kindle app backups books to your PC...since it knows it can redownload them it has no real reason to back them up..but it does keep track of where you were in each book)..or you can get the Kindle App on your PC and download your books directly into that (this is probably the best way since they come down directly to a folder on your PC). You don't really need to backup Kindle books since you can always re-download them. If you have a Kindle device, you can just connect it to your PC via USB and copy all of your books to your PC. I used to do this but these days I don't bother.

On the iPad...apps own files who they usually manage their own backups.

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You really should not have to worry about this. Amazon stores all your purchases online in your account. Once you install the Kindle app on your PC all you need to do is login with your Kindle credentials. You'll have access to your library and all your purchases. At that point you can download your book to the PC

Sendai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and if Amazon goes down, or your internet connection fails, oop, sorry, you're without your books. Cloud is nice, convenient, and great for everyday use, but God forbid that one incident shows up and makes it like you're back in 1999 or some other dark age.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, and if Amazon goes down, or your internet connection fails, oop, sorry, you're without your books. Cloud is nice, convenient, and great for everyday use, but God forbid that one incident shows up and makes it like you're back in 1999 or some other dark age.

What's the big deal? You don't own the ebooks anyway. And the books are on your device...I rarely go back to my older books...and if some dark calamity hits, I figure I will have other things to worry about.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, backing up a DRM'd Kindle book requires breaking DRM. Discussing that isn't allowed on this forum, but you can Google and find plenty of info. MobileRead.com also offers plenty of help and info for e-book lovers.

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's an interesting response; it shows how much you understand.

Let me paint a scenario for you which might make things a bit easier. You purchase a book from Amazon and your book purchase is registered with Amazon (how else will they know you've purchased a book or even bill you.)

At the time of purchase "IF" you're using the Kindle app on one of the many devices it works on you get prompted for the device you want to have the book downloaded to. Yes, this is a digital copy, but you've purchased it.

The Amazon network keeps track of that purchase. The network is a meshed network consisting of mutiple servers and a database spanning multiple physical locations. Let's say the network does go down... What network are we talking about. The one in your city or mine? Or maybe, it's the one in 2 cities over from where we are....

In any case, it shouldn't matter, because as soon as you get connection you gain access to one of the Amazon servers and your data.

Carry that a step further, you want to read your book on your PC. Install the Kindle client and log into your account. Amazon has a record of all the books you own. they're listed once you connect to their cloud. All that is needed is to select the book you want to "continue" to read and download it to the device.

Not only will it be downloaded, but you can pick-up where you left off on the other device. The cloud keeps the location in sync.

So, if you're concerned about backup it's already built into the Kindle services. There is no need to consider a DRM issue. You still have access to the book you paid for. You can archive it on the Amazon service and retrieve it at anytime you want.

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, backing up a DRM'd Kindle book requires breaking DRM. Discussing that isn't allowed on this forum, but you can Google and find plenty of info. MobileRead.com also offers plenty of help and info for e-book lovers.

I think there is a general misunderstanding from the original poster. There is no need for backing up Kindle books. DRM is a problem IMHO, but for what the poster originally asked backup is not the answer

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the big deal? You don't own the ebooks anyway. And the books are on your device...I rarely go back to my older books...and if some dark calamity hits, I figure I will have other things to worry about.

Some people like to collect books. I do, whether they're digital or paper.

It's interesting you say rarely rather than never. Which means you do go back to them. I've got digital copies of books that are over 10 years old and they've moved from device to device for me to enjoy.

There is a big market out there for books that are out of print or that people want to reread because they enjoyed it.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems like I have a lot of books, but many are technical manuals and reference/school books. I like having them available here, on my iPhone and my computer. I understand the concern, however as noted, with the Kindle the books should sync and be available on your iDevices running the software and your computer/laptop so a loss of 'network' only means the annotations or pages you read during the downtime don't sync. They will when the system returns to normal service.

Attachments

• image-2520586118.jpg
    image-2520586118.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 289

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there is a general misunderstanding from the original poster. There is no need for backing up Kindle books. DRM is a problem IMHO, but for what the poster originally asked backup is not the answer

Some people choose to back up their books. That's their prerogative. I'm not interested in arguments for or against. I'm simply answering the OP's question, rather than presuming to tell him/her what to do.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Since the OP has not returned to his thread, we do not know his intent with his initial post. In addition, members here have all provided very good information to help the OP in his understanding.

With this-we will now close this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you.

AdmiralAdama
Member iPF Moderator Team

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts