What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transfer from PC to Air2

jbloggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air 2 64gb WIFI only.
I can connect to my PC via Wireless modem/router
I can connect to ext HDD/SD card/thumdrive/network via wifi and shair hub.

Files stream fine to the iPad.

BUT - How do I copy files (ie ebooks/pdfs/mp3's) from the PC/Ext HDD/Thumbdrive/SDCard DIRECT without a Net connection ( ie I dont use DropBox/iCloud etc) or an App on a Windows PC or a Mac? I run Linux/.

Is there an iPad App ( preferrably Free) that allows Download AND Upload to/from the iPad?

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air 2 64gb WIFI only.
I can connect to my PC via Wireless modem/router
I can connect to ext HDD/SD card/thumdrive/network via wifi and shair hub.
Files stream fine to the iPad.

BUT - How do I copy files (ie ebooks/pdfs/mp3's) from the PC/Ext HDD/Thumbdrive/SDCard DIRECT without a Net connection ( ie I dont use DropBox/iCloud etc) or an App on a Windows PC or a Mac? I run Linux/.

Is there an iPad App ( preferrably Free) that allows Download AND Upload to/from the iPad?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Your post is too confusing, i.e. you are trying to ask too many questions w/o being very specific, especially in the statement in bold above.

I have the same iPad as you and a MBPro w/ Yosemite (easier than trying to use Linux) - but for starters, please select your most important tasks regarding the above and list them in the order of preference - we might be able to make more specific suggestions. Dave

OP
J

jbloggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

Here is the basic question:-

how do I copy files from an external storage device without an internet connection and without a Mac or Windows PC?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

Here is the basic question:-

how do I copy files from an external storage device without an internet connection and without a Mac or Windows PC?

OK - what type of external storage device are you describing? If a cabled connection to a 'stock' iPad, just not a consideration. Second, what type of files do you want to transfer, i.e. documents, music, movies, et al?

So, you seem to want to copy files to your iPad w/o an internet/Wi-Fi connection - correct? The only solution is some 'independent' wireless option - a device that I've used is called AirStash (click the link to Amazon) (pic below) - establishes its own Wi-Fi network and allows file transfer (there are limitations so read the comments and visit their website) - NOW, there are other similar devices on the market - I don't know if this is what you are interested in pursuing so will simply stop at this point. Dave :)
61N5caGHcnL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
J

jbloggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi is OK

external storage device can be a thumbdrive, usb HDD, sdcard

These can all be connected to a wireless enabled hub ( shair hub http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/09/lifehacker-tests-the-laser-shair-hub/ ) -

files are ebooks pdfs and mp3's

I can stream all of these filetypes with the above hub and storage devices but cant figure out how to copy them without Net access/PC etc

If I can stream them I'd expect to be able to copy them somehow

Thanks for the reply

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
WiFi is OK - external storage device can be a thumbdrive, usb HDD, sdcard

These can all be connected to a wireless enabled hub ( shair hub http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/09/lifehacker-tests-the-laser-shair-hub/ ) -

files are ebooks pdfs and mp3's

I can stream all of these filetypes with the above hub and storage devices but cant figure out how to copy them without Net access/PC etc

If I can stream them I'd expect to be able to copy them somehow

Hi again - I do not own the device linked above so cannot really comment on its features nor on its abilities to do what you want, i.e. transfer of 'files' to your iPad - thus, may be of little help regarding further suggestions - sorry.

As to MP3 files, I usually cable my iPad to my MBPro and then drag my music from iTunes onto the device - works fine; Apple has severely limited the developers in easily getting these music files between devices (likely copyright issues) - SO, you may have to compromise for your music.

Regarding PDFs, I get them onto my iPad by 'wireless' downloads to either iBooks or Good Reader - works easily for me - probably could do the same w/ my AirStash device over its own Wi-Fi network (have not tried yet) - your device may offer that possibility - don't know?

Probably not of much help here but the iPad has its limitations as to file transfer - just does not work like on a regular computer; iOS is an operating system created by Apple to be quite protective of the user, so features expected w/ a standard OS just do not exist (at least at the moment) - not sure that I can provide much more help unless you want to explore some of the suggestions offered. Dave :)

OP
J

jbloggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman

Thanks for all of your trouble replying.

iOS is an operating system created by Apple to be quite protective of the user

As I saw somwhere on the 'Net recently, this type of action was referred to as "infantizing the masses" - like reality TV only even more dumbed down.

Am checking out a few apps at present but need to wait 'till I can connect my iPad to the 'Net to download and "trial" them.

Even my $69 7inch android pendo pad has more functionality than the iPad.

Thanks again.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My original suggestion would therefore apply. An app like FileBrowser or GoodReader have multiple connectivity options, including SMB, DLNA, FTP, WebDAV, and most of the common online storage options.

OP
J

jbloggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original suggestion would therefore apply. An app like FileBrowser or GoodReader have multiple connectivity options, including SMB, DLNA, FTP, WebDAV, and most of the common online storage options.

but still req a PC or Mac or 'Net connection.

As stated earlier, I have a wireless hub to which I can connect the iPad and access thumbdrives etc attached to the hub - can then stream content but cant find an app that lets me copy files to the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

As stated earlier, I have a wireless hub to which I can connect the iPad and access thumbdrives etc attached to the hub - can then stream content but cant find an app that lets me copy files to the iPad.

If the hub shares the thumb drive using SMB, then GoodReader should be able to find it. It can also use FTP, SFTP, and AFP. Check your hub to see if it supports any of those.

From the GoodReader app you can probably move or copy files to other apps if needed; either using iCloud Drive or the messier Open In options. Two stepping isn't fun, but it's the only thing that comes to mind with your limitations.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425974089.435030.jpg

Note: I've never used GoodReader with any of those services before, so I can't say how well it works, or how difficult it might be to set up. They do have a user manual and support on their website; or did the last time I checked.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No PC, Mac or internet required. Just a wifi network that either the drive is on (via a sharing portable device), or a wifi network created by such a device. In your case, the wireless hub creates a wifi network that your iPad will connect to.

Once connected, most of these devices use a protocol similar to WebDAV to make it easy for an app like FileBrowser or GoodReader to connect to it. You just have to figure out via the device's documentation what connection protocols it uses to assist set-up in said apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts