What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer files it iPad without iTunes

michaelqian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 questions was wondering if someone can help me? My iPad is jailbroken.

1. How to transfer files (music, videos, pdf....) without iTunes? Is there a free PC software that will allow me to do this? I find iTunes a real pain when it comes to transferring files and synchronizing and I still haven't got the full hang of it yet.

2. I downloaded AVPlayer, can I transfer for example a .avi file from my computer to my iPad, and play it using AVPlayer? Or can I only play the .avi file over a wifi network connected to a server?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

For playing video files, I use oPlayer - it can handle most video file formats. Have a look in the App Store.

Tim

koonas444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't bring my laptop with me on my business trip, so i cant connect to my itunes.

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is your friend. Save any files you might want to access into the Dropbox folder on you lappie/desktop and they will automatically be there in your iPad Dropbox app. Any changes you make will also appear back in your Dropbox folder. Up to 2Gb storage it's free.

Most reactions

Latest posts