What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Cydia Apps to iTunes

Someone19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently jailbroke my iPad 3 and I'll be updating to iOS 6 once it gets released. I am aware that updating the software removes the jailbreak. I want to know what will happen to my jailbroken cydia apps. Will they get erased? How can I back them up with iTunes so that I can restore them after the update (when a Jailbreak for iOS 6 gets released). I read a lot of tutorials on how to sync these kind of apps and a lot of the tutorials say that I should Reset Warnings on iTunes followed by Transfer Purchases but I keep getting that I'm not authorized for the app, but when I click Authorize this computer in iTunes and enter my Apple Store ID, I find that my computer is authorized to my account. iTunes then starts syncing only apps downloaded from the App Store) but Cydia apps don't. The reason I want to sync all my Cydia apps is because as I mentioned earlier I want to update to iOS 6 but I don't want to redownload the apps manually, it will take a lot of time. So if someone can help me I'll be greatly appreciated.

sn4ke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use PkgBackup. Backs up and restores all your cydia tweaks and apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
S

Someone19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use PkgBackup. Backs up and restores all your cydia tweaks and apps.

If for some reason a tweak/ app got deleted from my iPad, will I have to purchase the license again?

Last edited:
OP
S

Someone19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why cant I get an answer to this question? I posted the same question yesterday in another iPad forum and I didn't get a reply.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone19 said:
I recently jailbroke my iPad 3 and I'll be updating to iOS 6 once it gets released. I am aware that updating the software removes the jailbreak. I want to know what will happen to my jailbroken cydia apps. Will they get erased? How can I back them up with iTunes so that I can restore them after the update (when a Jailbreak for iOS 6 gets released). I read a lot of tutorials on how to sync these kind of apps and a lot of the tutorials say that I should Reset Warnings on iTunes followed by Transfer Purchases but I keep getting that I'm not authorized for the app, but when I click Authorize this computer in iTunes and enter my Apple Store ID, I find that my computer is authorized to my account. iTunes then starts syncing only apps downloaded from the App Store) but Cydia apps don't. The reason I want to sync all my Cydia apps is because as I mentioned earlier I want to update to iOS 6 but I don't want to redownload the apps manually, it will take a lot of time. So if someone can help me I'll be greatly appreciated.

If you update to iOS 6 when it is released,you will lose your jailbreak and all the apps and tweaks that go with it. You cannot transfer jailbroken apps to iTunes. You would have to download those apps when you jailbreak your iPad again. How soon that is depends on when a jailbreak for iOS 6 is released.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As sn4ke mentioned, your best bet is to buy a Cydia backup tweak such as PKGBackup. You can have the backups stored in Dropbox or in the Contacts app of your iPad. As long as you don't delete the backups while you wait for a jail break for iOS 6, you should be able to download PKGBackup and run a restore after iOS 6 is released and jail broken.

However.

It's always a good rule to download Cydia tweaks manually after a major iOS upgrade (like the jump from iOS 5 to iOS 6). That's because a lot of things get changed in the updates and it's better to re-install tweaks one at a time to make sure you don't develop any conflicts. Usually, a backup program of Cydia tweaks is most effective for minor updates (like iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 was). Yeah, it's a bit of a pain in doing major upgrades, but it sure can save some headaches. Your call, of course - just providing advice.

And - Cydia tweaks are like App Store apps in that, once you've purchased, you own them, you won't be required to buy them again. So, once a tweak has been updated for iOS 6 (and the iPad is re-jailbroken on iOS 6), you can go back and get all your tweaks again.

Why cant I get an answer to this question? I posted the same question yesterday in another iPad forum and I didn't get a reply.

I'll be honest with you and tell you that 6 hours is not enough time to allow for an answer on a forum. This is an international forum and it takes a while for people to see/read your post, let alone respond to it. Our own forum rules require 48 hours to pass before someone should start worrying about not receiving an answer to a post. So - while we have actually responded pretty quickly - I must ask you to have a bit of patience. Thanks. :)

Marilyn

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
And - Cydia tweaks are like App Store apps in that, once you've purchased, you own them, you won't be required to buy them again. So, once a tweak has been updated for iOS 6 (and the iPad is re-jailbroken on iOS 6), you can go back and get all your tweaks again.

Marilyn[/QUOTE]

This is the answer to a question i have been wondering about since I lost (thru a freeze and hard reboot) my jailbreak. Thanks Marilyn! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts