What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer content of one ipad to another

cswanson69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our old ipad (2?) looks like it's dying. Can someone tell me, in layman's terms, how to transfer the content of it to a new one? Honestly, I've tried to understand the cloud and itune backup stuff and am totally confused. I would like to copy everything from the current one. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - first you need to tell us which iPad you own and what iOS version is installed - check HERE as to identify your device, e.g. if you have a 30-pin docking adapter, then a much older model. Second, have you been 'backing up' your iPad, either to iTunes on a computer and/or to iCloud? If not, then check HERE - if you have a reliable backup, then a restoration of the backup to a 'new' iPad can be done easily - let me stop here to let you respond - Dave :)

OP
C

cswanson69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - first you need to tell us which iPad you own and what iOS version is installed - check HERE as to identify your device, e.g. if you have a 30-pin docking adapter, then a much older model. Second, have you been 'backing up' your iPad, either to iTunes on a computer and/or to iCloud? If not, then check HERE - if you have a reliable backup, then a restoration of the backup to a 'new' iPad can be done easily - let me stop here to let you respond - Dave :)

Thanks Dave. Looks like a 3rd gen (model A1403) with 16gig and OS 9.3.5. We do cloud backups. I just didn't think that these backups backup everything.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Looks like a 3rd gen (model A1403) with 16gig and OS 9.3.5. We do cloud backups. I just didn't think that these backups backup everything.

They don't, and they do. Not everything is in the backup, but when it comes to iTunes and App Store the iPad knows what was installed before, and will automatically download them again. Though it make take a while. After the initial restore you'll see many or most of the apps grayed out. Depending on how fast your internet connection is they should finish installing anywhere from an hour to a couple days. If things look stalled for too long, you can restart the iPad.

As far as the app's content, it depends on the developer whether it gets backed up. Most do, but to be sure you can go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and choose the backup for your device in the Backups section. You'll see a list of apps with the option to turn bacups on/off. If the app is not listed, then the developer didn't provide for backups.

Games are the most common culprit, failing to backup progress and other game status.

Be sure to click on Show All Apps at the bottom of the list.

Note: This is a good way to reduce the size of your iCloud backups if they are getting a bit to big for your free storage.

2nd Note: These settings do not affect an iTunes backup, which backs up everthing that can be backed up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, one last note:

If you have important documents and pictures on the iPad, it's a good idea to make sure you have them in at least one other location before deleting them off the other iPad. And don't restore the old iPad before you're sure the new iPad has everything you want on it.

That way you can always try again if something goes wrong.

OP
C

cswanson69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, one last note:

If you have important documents and pictures on the iPad, it's a good idea to make sure you have them in at least one other location before deleting them off the other iPad. And don't restore the old iPad before you're sure the new iPad has everything you want on it.

That way you can always try again if something goes wrong.
OK, if I do what you say the only problem will be apps that cannot be backed up? How do you download the backup data to the new pad? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You make a backup of the old iPad, then restore the new iPad using the old iPad's backup. When you restore the new device (or activate it for the first time), part of the setup process will ask if you want to restore from a backup. If you say yes, it will show you your iCloud backups and let you choose.

You will have already entered your iCloud ID and password before this step.

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

OP
C

cswanson69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'll try all this if we decide to replace it. It seems like the battery is dying...it takes forever for it to recharge and I'm assuming that either the battery cannot be replaced or it would cost nearly as much to do as it would to replace the pad. Thanks a lot for all your help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK, I'll try all this if we decide to replace it. It seems like the battery is dying...it takes forever for it to recharge and I'm assuming that either the battery cannot be replaced or it would cost nearly as much to do as it would to replace the pad. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Hello again - to address your 'battery issue' - I have an app on my Mac laptops called Coconut Battery - when my iPad is plugged into one of my laptops, the app w/ the iOS tab selected will show 'battery health' (percentage of original charge capacity in mAh vs. the current capacity) and also the number of TOTAL recharge cycles - for an iDevice the battery should maintain 80% or more battery health w/ 500+ cycles - so there are ways to assess your battery's condition; of course, the Genius Bar at an Apple store or an authorized Apple repair shop could perform more detailed battery diagnostics.

As to 'battery replacement', see the information below from this Apple KB Article - the cost of a repair is $99, but whether your own device is returned or a refurbished one is provided is up to Apple as stated "After you send in your iPad for service, you'll receive a replacement or your repaired iPad in three to five business days. A replacement iPad will be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. If your iPad was engraved by Apple, it could take up to two weeks." (same link). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 4.49.16 PM.png

bianli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your old iPad can be detected by computer via USB Cable, maybe you can use mobile transfer tool to help you transfer data between your old iPad to the new one. It's easy and safe.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your old iPad can be detected by computer via USB Cable, maybe you can use mobile transfer tool to help you transfer data between your old iPad to the new one. It's easy and safe.
There's no need for anything like that as restoring the new iPad from the backup of the old iPad will have all the content from the old iPad end up on the new iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts