What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Contacts from iPhone

SusanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, I have my contacts set up on my iPhone. Is there a way to transfer/migrate these contacts to my iPad? I've tried everything I can think of short of re-creating.

Thank you.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Assuming you use the same PC for your iPhone as your iPad and the iPhone has been synched... Open iTunes and plug your iPad into your PC. Click on "the name of your iPad" in "Devices" in the left sidebar. Under the "Info" tab at the top of the screen you'll find "Synch Contacts" Uncheck this if it's checked. Then check "Selected Groups" and then check "iphone." Click "Synch" at the bottom right of the screen. Your contacts should now load to your iPad. Hopefully this works for you.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
also if you are a google user you could sync your contacts with google and then any change you make on the ipad will be mirrored to your iphone and vice versa. Also you can go into google and edit your contacts via the brower also if you want to.

OP
S

SusanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you use the same PC for your iPhone as your iPad and the iPhone has been synched... Open iTunes and plug your iPad into your PC. Click on "the name of your iPad" in "Devices" in the left sidebar. Under the "Info" tab at the top of the screen you'll find "Synch Contacts" Uncheck this if it's checked. Then check "Selected Groups" and then check "iphone." Click "Synch" at the bottom right of the screen. Your contacts should now load to your iPad. Hopefully this works for you.

iPhone synched but when I access the info tab, it won't allow me to check selected groups. I wonder if my iPhone isn't synching the contacts due to some other setting.

OP
S

SusanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Miraculously, I unchecked and re-checked both the iPhone and then the iPad, and now I am synched. Thanks for the advice and help.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this. I've been trying to figure this out for the longest.

RonB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Little More Complicated Ask

New iPad.... same issue. But as I follow the guidance provided, the Contacts Sync option is with Outlook, Google, Yahoo, Windows Address Book. I do not use GMail, Yahoo or have a Windows addy book. The outlook address book is for work and I do not want to mix the contacts from work with either my iPhone or iPad...

Any hope here?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You could create a gmail account just for your contacts. It's useful anyway because you then have a backup, always available on any device with a Internet connection. Plus setting a exchange account up for it means you can sync over the air, instead of having to sync via iTunes. It's the main reason I originally setup gmail, but now I use it for my main address, calendar, and contacts.

RonB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx Def... that is what I was thinking of as a Plan B....

RonB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went with the Plan B as the path of least resistance... All is good. Best thing is that as a neby to the Apple world and lovin' my new iPad 2... y'all umped right in to help out. I appreciate it!

dante9a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You could create a gmail account just for your contacts. It's useful anyway because you then have a backup, always available on any device with a Internet connection. Plus setting a exchange account up for it means you can sync over the air, instead of having to sync via iTunes. It's the main reason I originally setup gmail, but now I use it for my main address, calendar, and contacts.

I've tried setting up a exchange account for my gmail account just for the purpose you mentioned but, I'm having trouble getting my contacts to sync. I have about 5 contacts in " My Contacts" section of my gmail account and about 400 on my iPad. I've followed the directions from google on how to set up the exchange account and I am receiving my gmail just fine but when I check my contacts in gmail I still only have the same 5 contacts. Am I missing something?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
DefBref said:

I've tried setting up a exchange account for my gmail account just for the purpose you mentioned but, I'm having trouble getting my contacts to sync. I have about 5 contacts in " My Contacts" section of my gmail account and about 400 on my iPad. I've followed the directions from google on how to set up the exchange account and I am receiving my gmail just fine but when I check my contacts in gmail I still only have the same 5 contacts. Am I missing something?

Previously created contacts on the ipad/iphone won't sync, you'll need to copy them to your gmail account, there's various apps that will do this for you. Sync in a blink is one.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On GMail, make sure you are looking in the right contacts section. On the web browser version of gmail, at least, I have 53 in "My Contacts", but there is also an "Other Contacts" with 19 in it that are not in "My Contacts". Some are similar-named with different info. I think this is a combination of contacts coming from my new Android phone and my old Windows Mobile phone, and some that were generated originally in gmail on the web. You can merge them but I haven't tried.

Most reactions