What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tracking Touch Events on Safari

llama03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all :) I'm currently working on a project which requires touch data from interaction with a website on the iPad 2.

The website is a survey designed and hosted on Qualtrics (an online survey software). It contains a number of pictures, and participants will answer questions regarding their impressions of the pictures. At the same time, I would like to collect touch data on how participants interacted with the pictures (touch frequency, how long touch was maintained, coordinates of areas of the pictures touched). All the pictures are of the same size, and every page of the survey includes one picture followed by the question.

As I've only found apps that capture touch events within the app itself, does anyone know if it's possible for an app to launch Safari within itself and record touch data discreetly?

Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've just deleted your other, duplicate, post. Please don't make duplicate posts in the forums as it is against our rules.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many apps will launch an Internet window within the app, our IPF App does this, not sure how you collect the data though, it's way above my pay grade (my pay grade is not very high!).

The Archangel

sprobertson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Launching Safari itself isn't really an option, but you should be able to use a UIWebView; maybe a custom implementation that handles touch events to record them and then sends them to the normal handler? Just theorizing here, never tried it.

Most reactions

Latest posts