What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally frustrated w/ iCloud snag

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that worked. I am ever so grateful! Now I have regained complete control. I now know the Apple ID and pswd combo for itunes/apps and I also know the Apple ID/pswd combo for iCloud. I've learned some neat tricks, thanks.

If anyone is still in the mood to answer a lingering question, that issue I touched on of the user, my wife, getting some error message recently concerning storage capacity, where she deleted some Apps to relieve the situation... Of course, since she didn't note the precise message we'll never know for sure if it truly was a reference to diminishing disk space. Settings>>About claims capacity of 13.5 GB with 3.1 GB free. That seems like plenty but of course some apps use lots of space. If an app or two needs be deleted to free up space, those apps can be redownloaded and reinstalled anytime as long as I still know the Apple ID and password the purchases were made under -- RIGHT??? And I guess some minimal iCloud storage is free but you have to pay beyond that. Well never mind, since I can post a new thread if the error message ever appears again and storage issues ever loom large.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. Any items on your iTunes purchsed list can be re-downloaded to any device using the same Apple ID and password.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some general thoughts on email addresses, and how they affect username/passwords.

I never use ISP specific email addresses. Even when my iSP gives me one, all unasked for, I don't' use it. I might add it to my email app, just in case; but where they specify my notification and/or password reset emails, I use something else.

That something else is an email address that I know I can keep even if I move, change providers, or even abandon my favorite products. And I always have at least two of these; three at the moment. Most services will let you add not only a main notification email, but a second one as well.

By using a non-ISP-specific email address you avoid the need to ever change your email based username on sites. By having more than one, and both registered for notifications, you insure that you can reset passwords or get vital notifications even if your usual email provider is having problems. It also comes in handy for testing your email service.

Anyway, iCloud email can be considered non-ISP, and fairly stable. Even if you stopped using Apple devices your iCloud account remains yours.

The other services I use are Gmail and Yahoo. Hotmail is the other big, popular choice.

Anyway, at the very least you should have at least one of these, and use it as a secondary email address.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're using a Gmail for her iTunes and Apps ID. Sure they're great but I like ISP-based emails for their ability to download and automatically hold secure all vital messages on the local machine. Of course that assessment predates the advent of so many mobile devices. I like the whole message store to be kept on my stable immobile desktop PC. No biggie though, I guess.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can understand that. Unfortunately the old POP3 accounts were developed around the idea that you would receive and work on your email on one device. As you've noted, they can cause all kinds of unpredictable results when multiple devices enter the equation.

It is still possible to store all your emails permanently on a desktop. It just requires a little more work. Most desktop clients support both local and server-side folder. If you take the time to move your old emails to local folders, then you can have that security.

Depending on the mail client, you may even be able to automate the process.

Most reactions

Latest posts