What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

totally confused on transfering movies from PC to Ipad3.

jcorvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ipad 3 ios5. I know nothing about Apple products never bought anything on iTunes. Here is what I want to do. I have read loads of things but still confused. I want to transfer a movie (in formats that goodplayer could read -- and not necessarily of the type that anative Ipad video app could play) from my PC (win 7) to my Ipad 3 where I can easily play them (including subtitles on non english films that may have*srt files and english films with embedded subtitles turned off).

It seemed GoodPlayer was the easiest and most versitile but really how would I know!!!. Anyway, I read on the Good Player site that to copy files from PC to Ipad via itunes I had to have a file sharing app on the Ipad. Didn't know what that meant, but I guess it is something that allows me to copy from pc to Ipad. Don't know which one of these either to get, but saw iFiles by Imagen that got good review, but they say they only work with files that Ipad can read. So if I wanted to transfer an avi (non mjpeg) to play via goodplayer, I could not copy it with iFiles because ipad3 does not recognize it and iFiles requires recognition. Also, does iFiles (or any of these) know where to put these files in the Ipad so GoodPlayer or another such app can read them?

And then there is iTunes. I want to be able to highlight one or more movies and copy them to Ipad. Furthermore, what does Sync mean. I instinctively don't want to do it. I want 50 films on my pc and maybe 3 on Ipad (and copies not files moved from pc to ipad).

I don't want to put thing in the cloud like dropbox. I dont want to use wifi because it is probably too slow. I wouldn't mind not using iTunes. I just want to copy to ipad like I can do with Android cellphone from my pc. (there I can go right to the proper folder and drop something. I can watch mp4 films on my droid x with no problem though I have to convert to that and thats one of the things I wanted to avoid with ipad3 using something like Goodplayer. Can someone tell me specifically how to do this with Ipad 3. I don't want to look at movies on a tiny (relatively) cell phone or read from it -- this is why I have a ipad3 with its so clear screen.

Thanks all. Hope you can help.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is what to do:

Open iTunes on your PC.
Plug in the iPad
Once connected, click on the iPad Name appearing in the left hand column in iTunes.
Select the Apps tab. Scroll down past the Apps list and screen display and you will see a heading called File Sharing.
Find Goodreader in the list of apps under File Sharing. Click on it. The window to the right should then read Goodplayer Documents. Click the Add button and attach the files you want to sync to your iPad.
Once all selected, you can click Sync and let it copy those files across.
Once completed, you should be able to eject your device and open Goodreader and the files will be there for playback.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went to app store after reading the above, searched goodreader, but the latest reviews are claiming the app crashes on loading after installing the update.

anyone had problems or has it now been fixed?

don't want to throw £2.99 at a now duff app :(

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
i went to app store after reading the above, searched goodreader, but the latest reviews are claiming the app crashes on loading after installing the update.

anyone had problems or has it now been fixed?

don't want to throw £2.99 at a now duff app :(

No issues here. I had not used it since the update so I jumped in and it appears to work normally. I believe the developer quickly fixed the issue from what I can tell.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
No issues here. I had not used it since the update so I jumped in and it appears to work normally. I believe the developer quickly fixed the issue from what I can tell.

many thanks for the 'up'.
in the mean time i used Avplayer HD, you need to use iTunes to transfer the files to the iPad (ip2 in my case) but it works just fine :).

perhaps we should run a pole on the best player?

Most reactions

Latest posts