What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torrenting

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone here torrent? I was wondering how to do it on iOS. Seems like there are not torrent apps in the store. I have found that the best way to transfer large files to friends is to make them into torrent files. The cloud is ok but often if the connection is lost they will have to pick it up from the start.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there are no torrent apps on iOS. Torrents do have legitimate uses, but have have become a haven for piracy and malware. Rather than trying to police what might come through torrent servers, Apple has simply blocked all torrent apps from their App Store.

Also, because of the close association between torrents and illegal activities, it would be hard to talk about how to access and use them without violating the forum’s rules.

I’m afraid you’ll have to seek answers to legitimate use of torrents on iOS elsewhere.

Note: Not a moderator or admin.

OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, that is probably my biggest complaint about Apple, Totalitarianism. I paid for it so I think I should have a right to do what I want with it and that includes destroying it for good, bad or absolutely no reason.

I have found peer-to-peer to be the best way of transferring large files to myself through remote access since you can just set it and forget it, if the connection is lost then it will resume when up again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple is not telling you what you can do with the hardware which you purchased from them but it is telling you what software you can run one the iPad. You may own the hardware but you only have a licence to use the software.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When it comes to the choices between security and openness, something will always be lost. Apple leans heavily on the security/privacy end of things, so it is more restrictive. Probably the most restrictive commercial OS ever; but also among the safest. (Yes, no OS is perfectly secure, it’s all relative.)

If Apple was the only choice, it would be intolerable. Since they are one among several, it is mostly a good thing. People can choose what they value most. There is no perfect solution for everyone, no OS that offers everything.

OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. How do you think 5G will change computing? In my opinion, with that much speed at such low latency, strong processors and memory won't really matter that much and web app will be the go-to standard.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. How do you think 5G will change computing? In my opinion, with that much speed at such low latency, strong processors and memory won't really matter that much and web app will be the go-to standard.
Not everybody has unlimited data plans and 5G could see them burn through their monthly days allowance in seconds.

OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know about seconds but when I was on a 50gig plan, I never used it up every month and constantly streaming youtube. So how do you think it would change the way you compute?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

For most people, it won’t make an immediate difference. The current speeds easily stream video, which is the most intensive task for the majority of users.

Eventually the increased capabilities will result in services that use the extra speed and bandwidth. At that point SciFan’s observation will become important. Users that were used to their current data plan may find themselves either having to be careful what they do, or getting larger plans. Once the higher speeds become ubiquitous, competition should lower the prices of the higher tier plans back to what you can get with a mid tier plan now.

What will those higher data consumption services be? Probably higher res video (even if it seems wasted on small screens), more and better quality video conference/call apps, real time video and audio creation collaboration apps, a tendency for services to allow and use larger files (even if they don’t really need to), and stuff we probably haven’t even thought off.

Keep in mind that the majority of delays on the web are a result of server and network lags, not connection speed. The experience of web browsing and similar activities are unlikely to show much improvement. If it were not for that, the web might already be the standard; except no matter how low the latency or high the speed, it will never be able surpass local computing for some tasks (unless for some reason companies stop building powerful computers).

Some things will always be better with a local app. And some things will be good-enough to be web apps. Speed and latency will move the needle somewhat, but not to the point of making the web the only solution.

Last edited:
OP
TabletGuy

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From what I recently read, besides 10x bandwidth speeds, latency with 5G will be as low as 1-5 milliseconds compared to the 100-300ms of 4g LTE. This means that as long as there is no loss of connection, people will be able to do things such as drive a car remotely from anywhere in the world as if they were in the car itself. Surgeries can also be safely done remotely with the aid of robots. As you said, the competition will drive down prices pretty fast. I think the lower latency with being the most significant quality.

Just imagine sitting in another country and putting on a headset thingy to go pick up your daughter from school or drive her there!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts