What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many useless apps in the AppStore?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I don't know if I lost my sense of humor, but I find that there are too many useless apps in the AppStore...

Just to name a few:

Fart apps
Sound board apps
Simulated function apps (like finding a cell phone by its number...)
Joke apps (broken screen, remote farting...)
Apps that do no more than the default apps like Notes, sound recording...
Shortcut apps to some websites
Toy apps

Surely there are other type of apps that could be considered useless but that's what I have in mind for now. Should Apple filter those apps out by setting a policy that would ensure that the app is actually doing something interesting?

Apple did already some cleaning in the last year, since there seems to be less of those now than when I got my iPhone in 2009.

What have you found to be completely useless?

VicoPad addict!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is useless for some is a help for others. It is like medicines, there are some that are useful to a couple of people, but without them, they could die. What is needed is a better method of organization. The iTunes setup was good up to a few thousand, but it has gotten too much for easy searching.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are bound to be some bad/useless ones among the good, but it's not too hard to tell the difference. The reviews in the App Store can be quite helpful, especially the negative reviews which point out shortcomings in apps.

Have a look at an app called AppAdvice. I have found it very helpful in sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into any store and see how many items you actually want.
No we don't need another potato peeler shaped like a panda, but somewhere someone's going to buy it..........

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
People, you're missing the point...

I am not talking about bad apps, or specific domain apps. I'm talking about those apps that just do plain nothing. Like a sound farting machine... Yeah, it can be funny once, but having a bunch of them?

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
DM51 said:
There are bound to be some bad/useless ones among the good, but it's not too hard to tell the difference. The reviews in the App Store can be quite helpful, especially the negative reviews which point out shortcomings in apps.

Have a look at an app called AppAdvice. I have found it very helpful in sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for the tip...

VicoPad addict!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tbh I never browse the appstore now.
There are a number of websites who's reviews I respect and I really only purchase by recommendation now.

Hopefully we should see a major revamp this year as it's almost too bloated to navigate.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imo there is alot of crap in the appstore... Im sure there apps that have never been downloaded... I usually browse the appstore by looking the top free or top paid apps or apps that have been reviewed by bloggers... Really hard for devs to get my money if i can see their apps in the appstore... And we all know we got no time browsing through 100,000+ apps...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually there ARE totally useless apps: Look at the variety of "iPad scales". Literally, they advertise themselves as being capable of accurately weighing things small enough to fit on the screen. Of course they don't (to humour it, i tried one such free app....total garbage). The screen works by conductive capacitance. At least one developer acknowledges his app is a JOKE in his app description. His is free. Others are actually making some money, apparently evidenced by the number of people giving sour reviews and asking for their money back.

I can't wait to read a story about someone whose iPad cracked after stepping on it to get his weight.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Mtnmedic said:
Actually there ARE totally useless apps: Look at the variety of "iPad scales". Literally, they advertise themselves as being capable of accurately weighing things small enough to fit on the screen. Of course they don't (to humour it, i tried one such free app....total garbage). The screen works by conductive capacitance. At least one developer acknowledges his app is a JOKE in his app description. His is free. Others are actually making some money, apparently evidenced by the number of people giving sour reviews and asking for their money back.

I can't wait to read a story about someone whose iPad cracked after stepping on it to get his weight.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

I wonder what is the maximum weight that the iPad can "scale"? Remember the WiiFit not going above 250 lbs and overweight people complaining about it? :)

VicoPad addict!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I wonder what is the maximum weight that the iPad can "scale"? Remember the WiiFit not going above 250 lbs and overweight people complaining about it? :)

VicoPad addict!

ROFLMAO! Yeah...

Most reactions

Latest posts