What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To upgrade or not to upgrade

Reaction score
My ipad 2 version is 7.1.2. Everything works well. I know most people who have upgraded to 8.1.2 like it but a few have reported problems and expressed regret in upgrading. I have put off upgrading b/c I didn't see a reason to take the chance of creating problems I don't need. Is it really worth it or should I stay with 7.1.2. I'm not a gamer. . .just email and browse a few websites.

Cml757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If everything is working fine, don't upgrade it. I upgraded from 6.1.3 to 8.1.2 and am now in Bug Type 110 hell. Ipad reboots every two minutes. On the rare occasions I can get it to work, I'm good for about half an hour before a temperature warning pops up and the problems start again. My iPad is useless now. No problems with the previous iOS installed, but was starting to lose functionality on some of the apps.

Chris

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Cml757

I'm wondering if you updated to iOS 8x over the air (Settings - General - Software Update), or using iTunes (computer).

If you udated using your iPad only (over the air), this will certainly have caused the problems you're experiencing, because there's a very long way from 6.1.3 to 8.1.2.

If hope this will help:
Make sure iTunes (computer) is up to date. Backup your iPad. Then restore it using iTunes.

After restoring, you can restore from a backup.
In any case, reset your device afterwards. This won't remove anything from it. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would stick with 7.1.2 for as long as you can. I've regretted updating to iOS 8 on my iPad 2 , even though it works ok on 8.1.2 it's still not the same as it was.

Cml757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought, J.A., but I did install from the latest version of iTunes. I have tried restores, restores from backups, resets and setting up the iPad as a new device, all with the same result. The .panic.ips files indicate bug type 110 and a CRC error, which seems to indicate a null pointer in memory so this could be hardware, software or both. Frustrating, to say the least.

Chris

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CRC error appears when your Windows OS is corrupted. Windows recommends to use the Crc Error Count Smart Repair Tool. You'll find the requirements and a link to download it here:
http://www.directorycomputing.com/crc-error-count-smart.php

Bug type 110 is a hardware failure of the iPad. As far as I know there's not really anything you can do to fix this.

Last edited:

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also if you're using iPhoto, you can not on iOS8. I'm mourning the only app I've used on daily basis. Now it's gone and my 5000 photos tagged and organised are on a single album. Also I think iOS8 is kind of laggy.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Billy JoeBob Roylee

As you only seem to get negative responses, here's a thread with a different opinion:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/afraid-to-update-to-8-1-2.125697/
As you see, I'm one of those there encouraging to update to the latest version. My daughter's iPad 2 is running great with the new software, and all she does is listen to music, browse and perhaps look at her emails.

One of the updates, 8.1.1, included bug fixes and increased performance and stability improvements for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s, so your device should work without problems. Whether or not you update to iOS 8.1.2, is still your decision, though. If you intend to go for it, use iTunes on your computer, don't do it in Settings - General - Software Update on your iDevice.

Cml757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CRC error appears when your Windows OS is corrupted. Windows recommends to use the Crc Error Count Smart Repair Tool. You'll find the requirements and a link to download it here:
http://www.directorycomputing.com/crc-error-count-smart.php

Bug type 110 is a hardware failure of the iPad. As far as I know there's not really anything you can do to fix this.

The CRC error is associated with the 110 error on the iPad and appears in the .panic.ips files in the Diagnostics folder. It has nothing to do with Windows.

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately my experience is negative too. With 6.x (jailbroken) the available memory after reboot was around 150-180MB, with 8.1.2 (jailbroken too) it is 10-20MB.
Switching between the applications has become painful since whenever you switch the active application, the one that becomes active sort of starts from scratch, even passing from one tab to another in Safari makes the focused tab to reload.
iOS 8.x has been developed with twice (1GB) or four times (2GB) of RAM in mind and having allowed the iPad 2 to access to this upgrade has been a conscient and, I would say, criminal decision that Apple has done to force the dismission of an old and still valid platform: iPad 2

eelpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 2 version is 7.1.2. Everything works well. I know most people who have upgraded to 8.1.2 like it but a few have reported problems and expressed regret in upgrading. I have put off upgrading b/c I didn't see a reason to take the chance of creating problems I don't need. Is it really worth it or should I stay with 7.1.2. I'm not a gamer. . .just email and browse a few websites.
My advise is DON'T UPGRADE I did and now I can't even get into my ipad 2. I even tried to restore and it won't let me. Reset the ID and PW and got email from icrap that it was done but it ain't.

Most reactions