What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To remove album folder from photos

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I remove an Album from Photos/Albums ? I have tapped edit and a X appears on the album but it doesn't delete if I tap the X.
OS is iOS 7.1.1

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do I remove an Album from Photos/Albums ? I have tapped edit and a X appears on the album but it doesn't delete if I tap the X.
OS is iOS 7.1.1

Hi Brian - welcome to the forum! :)

When you press the 'x' do you get a dialog box like shown in my attachment? In my example, I tapped the 'x' on the 'Stars' album and was given the choice shown - if the Photo app on your iPad is not behaving similarly, then you might want to 'Force Close' the app and try again; if not successful, then 'Restart' or 'Reset' your device (if not familiar w/ Force Closing an app, check HERE) - good luck and let us know if the maneuver(s) was useful - Dave

AlbumDeletion.PNG

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is working now after I re-synced using iTunes with Sync photos unchecked and delete all photos checked.
Then added a new album using + on Albums page to test the deletion process.

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried again with no photos or albums and created an album using the + on the album page. Then tried to delete it but nothing happened after Edit and tap on the X.
What's going on?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you synced an album to your iPad, you can't delete it on your iPad. It has to be synced and deselected in iTunes on your computer. That's what seemed to be your problem.

You're only able to remove photo albums created on your iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The album I am trying to delete is one I created on the iPad. It has worked previously see message #3.

Hi Brian - still not sure why you're having such a problem; if you look at the image I posted, when 'edit' is selected, albums synced from you computer will NOT have an 'x', only those that you have created on your iPad and again the dialog box as shown should appear - are you seeing that box?

Also, did you try my suggestions about 'Force Closing' the Photo App or performing a 'Restart' or 'Reset'? If not familiar w/ these maneuvers, see the quoted directions below - not sure that this will help but will not hurt. Good luck - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I have tried Force Close, Restart & Reset to no avail.
When Edit is selected an X appears on the corner of the album that I created on the iPad, but tapping the X does nothing.

Brian

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I have tried Force Close, Restart & Reset to no avail.
When Edit is selected an X appears on the corner of the album that I created on the iPad, but tapping the X does nothing.

Hi Brian - well, I'm baffled! :confused: The next step that I would suggest would be to delete the app and re-install, but not possible w/ one built into the iOS! :thumbsdown:

When you upgraded to iOS 7.1.1, did you have any installation issues; and did the Photo App after the iOS upgrade ever function as expected?

Hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything that would cause your problem, so I don't really know a solution, but you could try this anyway:

If you have Restrictions enabled, disable them. Maybe something there prevents deleting an album.

Go to Settings - General - Reset, and reset all settings. Of course you'll have to look at all your settings afterwards and select everything the way you like it.

The ultimate step would be to erase all content and settings and restore your iPad, maybe also using a backup.

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J A,

'Restrictions' was not enabled. I tried reset all settings which did not help. I am not prepared to erase all content and settings at the moment.

Brian

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now reset it to factory settings and of course the problem album is no longer there. If I add an album, I can delete it by selecting Edit and tapping the resulting X.

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today it is not working again. I created a folder called 'test' put some photos in it from a folder downloaded through iTunes. Later I tried to delete it but it didn't react to tapping the X. So I deleted all the photos in it and tried in vain to delete it.

OP
B

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, if I do a Reset then I can remove the unwanted folder. I shouldn't have to do this every time to delete a folder!

Most reactions