What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To move a text entered with Goodreader's text tool

arbaces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7E85F4A9-6D2F-42BB-96F9-8C0B504DC582.jpeg
Hi everyone ;)

Does anyone know if it is possible to move on a page a text entered with Goodreader's text tool ?

If it is thanks to tell me the way.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Very few PDF apps have the ability to edit text or change the format of pages. PDF had its origin as a printing format. Only later did it become a standard way of saving and storing documents, and added capabilities that make reading documents on a computer more efficient (tables of contents, links, etc.) This means that it does not support the same kind of editing and layout tools that can be expected with a word-processor or page layout tool. It’s more like a final product (like a physical book) than a document (like text file the book might have been created with).

Think of it as a loose leaf report. You can annotate it, add/delete/shuffle pages, and maybe do some minor white out corrections. Anything else is difficult.,

What editing that can be done is mostly limited to changing content within the layout already created. One of the few apps that can do this is PDF Office; which requires a subscription for all features. Even PDF Office will not let you change the layout of a page (what you want to do). You can change text, add stuff, and create fillable forms; not always with the expected results. Creating fillable forms is what I normally use it for.

How much of this you can do depends on the specific PDF. Some PDF’s only contain images of text, not unicode text. Texts generated from HTML websites may have both. Fancy page headers, logos, and other stylish text are usually images.

There are apps that will convert a PDF to other standard editable formats, such as Word’s .docx. It’s common for a lot of the layout to be lost in the conversion, but you end up with a fully editable document that you can then print/convert back to a PDF when you are happy with it.

I don’t have a conversion app, and don’t know enough to recommend any of them.

One minor layout hack you can do with GoodReader is crop the boarders. The tool only allows you to crop the view, but when you print the document (instead of saving it) the output is based on the view; so you end up printing a cropped PDF. I’ve used this in the past with documents that had excessive boarders.

All of this is, of course, based on my own reading and experience. There may be an app out there that will do everything you need. I haven’t encountered it, or if I have, do not remember it having these kind of layout features.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
A

arbaces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you twerppoet ;)

Do you know if it is possible to change the police of a text added on a page ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know what police means in relation to text. My knowledge on the subject is informal and spotty, based on chance and my own occasional projects.

OP
A

arbaces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
F190AAAC-D900-434E-95D2-6849663A8A8E.jpeg
Thank you ;)

Do you know if it is possible to insert an image in a page?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that I know of, in Goodreader. You could create a PDF with the graphic and insert it as a new page.

It looks like you are doing research for school or other reasons. You might find an app like Notability or Goodnotes more useful than GoodReader. These apps are designed to take PDF’s and let you add notes, images, drawings; well beyond the editing annotation that GoodReader is used for.

You still can’t change the format of the PDF, but you have a lot more flexibility with the types of annotations you can add. Adding an image to a blank part of a page is possible.

I would not recommend them for creating new PDF documents, but you can print the results as PDF.

Most reactions

Latest posts