What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To many choices!

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing worse than not enough choices is to many!!

On the settings and e-mail addresses I see Fetch, Push and Manual? I don’t know what they really mean!
What should they be? I have six e-mail addresses and I never known what they should be set to.
Anyone have an idea.
Thanks!! (again) Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Push: When available the server automatically pushes notification of new emails to your devices, so tlhey know to download them (and notify you if you have notifications turned on). If you need to know when you got a new email, like now, this is the mode to use. Not all email providers support this.
Pro: Emails arrive as soon as possible.
Con: If you have a lot of email, it could effect battery life (but not by much)

Fetch: The device periodically checks the server to see if you have new emails. Choices range from every 15 minutes to several hours.
Pro: Gives you some control over battery and internet usage.
Con: Important emails and notificaitons may be delayed.

Manual: Your device only checks for new emails when you open the email app, or force a refresh (usually by pulling down on the email list).
Pro: Email bothers you only when you choose to let it.
Con: If you don’t check your email, you won’t know if you have any.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Push: When available the server automatically pushes notification of new emails to your devices, so tlhey know to download them (and notify you if you have notifications turned on). If you need to know when you got a new email, like now, this is the mode to use. Not all email providers support this.
Pro: Emails arrive as soon as possible.
Con: If you have a lot of email, it could effect battery life (but not by much)

Fetch: The device periodically checks the server to see if you have new emails. Choices range from every 15 minutes to several hours.
Pro: Gives you some control over battery and internet usage.
Con: Important emails and notificaitons may be delayed.

Manual: Your device only checks for new emails when you open the email app, or force a refresh (usually by pulling down on the email list).
Pro: Email bothers you only when you choose to let it.
Con: If you don’t check your email, you won’t know if you have any.

Wow! Thanks a lot twerppoet. I’ll have to print this one!! Ken

Most reactions