What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Authorize Or Not

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2. I've got the current OS 5.1.1.

Is it still necessary to have a desktop that is "Authorized" to back up your iPad. Or is that all done by the cloud? Is it necessary to have a desktop for anything related to iTunes?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a person from outside the United States,which doesn't apply in your case,there is no movies in the cloud.Backing up your iTunes movies to an authorized computer is essential in this case.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my computer and iTunes to store all my music and pictures that I do not want to keep on my iPad/iPhone. And for that reason it is necessary to have have my computer authorized. However, if you have no need to manage music through iTunes and have everything backed up via iCloud there really isn't much of a need. The main issue for most would be that Apple only gives you 5GB of free storage via iCloud. So if you plan to backup everything on it you would need to pay for extra storage.

Most reactions