To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by blowabs, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well see, that's the weird part. The router, modem, desktop and monitor are all on my APC XS 1500 UPS battery backup. It wasn't a typical surge from a lightening strike. The lights didn't even flicker. Sun was out but I could hear thunder in the distance. All of a sudden a bright flash and thunder clap at the exact same time. I was on the ipad at the time and the wireless connection went out. I go in the check the router and it was dead but everything else was fine. I did some research to find the sometimes the static discharge from lightening can fry stuff far from the actual strike if the right conditions are present. It's all good though because it forced me to upgrade to the Linksys/Cisco E3000 and now my ipad speeds are as fast as my wired desktop.

2. blowabs

blowabs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Wow! Insane in the membrane!!! It has to be for international ship.
    Lookin more and more like 3G is the way to go, esp. for resale.

3. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I would have bought a 3rd one if they let me at the time, just for resale.

I am moving in 2.5 weeks, so don't want a mis-delivery if I ordered more now.

4. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I used to have more problems with surges over the telephone lines than with power surges. I finally installed UPS on all my electronics, and got models that have phone surge connectors I have had to replace that part of all of them, but better than modems or house phones.

5. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    YIKES!!! UPSes are good for outages, but not much can save you from a big surge like that. Luckily, those kinds of direct strikes or statc surges are very rare.

BTW the resale value we see right now will not last. In 3-6 mo, iPads will likely be in stock in most places.

6. jshollax

jshollax
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Went to the Oregon Coast for the weekend. Laying in bed I decided to watch the last episode of FlashForward. No WiFi Around. 3g all the way. If you wana sell it in a few months and buy the latest and greatest, I think the 3g will be easier to sell.

7. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I agree. The only change we are gonna see for the iPad, is a price drop in 6-8 months by 50-100$ per model. Then the new 2G model will come out a few months later, at the same price as the reduced 1G, making it near impossible getting any $$$ out of your used 1G. :D

8. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yea buying tech for it's resale value is not a good investment in the long term.

9. blowabs

blowabs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    But buying a 3G now... insures that you will get more $$$ back, albeit about $200-$275, than just going with a wifi model tho.....??.....

10. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I agree. but right now looks good!

But I don't want to re-order and wait 3 more weeks again. Mine should be in tomorrow as it is....