What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tmno2 inspired...remotely connect.

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know how to remotely connect my iPad to a Windows XP Microsoft computer? If someone could create a detailed list or something to that affect it would really help me out. (what apps do I need etc...) Or is there an alternate way to get my iPad hooked up to a Windows XP Microsoft computer so I can view/control the PC from my iPad?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Markswheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Splashtop app works very well. Had it up and running in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about Single Click, LogMeIn, Teamviewer and GoToMyPc? How does Splashtop compare to these other apps? And which one of these is easiest to install and/or work with?

I'll check out Splashtop thanks Markswheeles.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
M325i said:
What about Single Click, LogMeIn, Teamviewer and GoToMyPc? How does Splashtop compare to these other apps? And which one of these is easiest to install and/or work with?

I have found that Splashtop has a higher resolution display than Teamviewer and it's far more intuitive. I haven't been able to get it to successfully work remotely via the net yet, but it has evidently become easier in a recent upgrade which I haven't gotten around to (more my fault probably). Recently, I searched out some precise instructions for the exact modem/router that I have but cannot comment on the quality of connecting through the internet quite yet. On a personal WiFi network, the setup is a no brainer and the quality is no less than stunning as several others (Mark) have commented.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new 'experimental' feature in Splashtop is a breeze. You absolutely need not only the latest version of the iPad app but also the PC client. All you do is enable the experimental feature and give both the iPad and your PC your gmail address (don't ask me why, it's magic!) and you're done. No complex router configuration and port forwarding or anything like that - it just works...

Tim

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used Gotomypc for years with my laptop and now on my iPad and I find it very easy to use and it works well on iPad but it's expensive.

Reaction score

I'm using Splashtop and Team Viewer. Both are easy to use at home and away, both give me full control of my Windows desktop but only Splashtop transfers the sounds to my Ipad.
I looked at gotomypc but the price when compared to the other 2 (Splashtop $1.99 one time, Team Viewer was free) made me skip it.
I find myself using Splashtop the most because instead of having to drag the arrow to where you want it you just tap a general location then fine tune with your finger . Your finger becomes the mouse on both. They both connect within a couple of seconds from starting the app. Splashtop was easiest for me to set up for home usage but I'd call it a draw for setting them up for away from home usage, neither being difficult to set up.
Hope that helps
Fwiw they both have multi platform apps for usage on your smartphone as well

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this helped a lot. I think i'm going to give Splashtop a go, and see how it turns out. I'm mostly going to be using it at home through WIFI so...:)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The new 'experimental' feature in Splashtop is a breeze. You absolutely need not only the latest version of the iPad app but also the PC client. All you do is enable the experimental feature and give both the iPad and your PC your gmail address (don't ask me why, it's magic!) and you're done. No complex router configuration and port forwarding or anything like that - it just works...

Tim

Thanks for the reassurance, I didn't know that it had become that easy. I struggled with the port forwarding and was unsuccessful with it on the last version. Maybe, within the next few days, I will be able to finally get this high priority project right.

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I have another question i'm going to be running Splashtop on windows XP i'm told that there will be no sound :( is this true? Is there anything I can do to work my way around this? Is there another app I should use instead of Splashtop?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
M325i said:
Ok so I have another question i'm going to be running Splashtop on windows XP i'm told that there will be no sound :( is this true? Is there anything I can do to work my way around this? Is there another app I should use instead of Splashtop?

There must be one, as i can remote stream videos from my pc to my ipad with sound... Just a case of finding it :(

*edit*

itap rdp £6.99

Jaadu remote desktop £14.99

*sigh*

guess i'll just live with no sound for now, until i find a free rdp app that streams sound

I bleed in 6 colours

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
M325i said:

My understanding was that Splashtop *did* stream sound. Perhaps it's an XP limitation?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
info said:
My understanding was that Splashtop *did* stream sound. Perhaps it's an XP limitation?

Possibly, even the splashtop website says it supports audio as well....

Just checked versions, latest is 1.4.5.3, i'm using 1.4.0.4 :eek:

Maybe the newer version fixes the audio issue with xp?

I bleed in 6 colours

Last edited:

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this helped a lot. I think i'm going to give Splashtop a go, and see how it turns out. I'm mostly going to be using it at home through WIFI so...:)
I'm not sure if this affects every user, but I found that Splashtop does not properly recognise your desktop computer's resolution and in my cases forces it back to VGA res, even though I specified (in the options Menu on the iPad App) that it should retain the current resolution. Very annoying as it then causes all my windows and icons to be moved around/resized after it restores the desktop res on quitting the App on the iPad. My Desktop res is 1920 x 1200 btw.

I've also tried TeamViewer and found that it probably suits my needs best - I don't need sound to be passed through and will only be using Remote Access when away from home. And yes, or rather no, it doesn't stuff up my desktop screen :).

Last edited:
OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok OMG this is the most amazing thing i've ever seen in my life I just set up Splashtop on my PC and on my iPad and it seems to be work pretty damn good. I get audio, can play flash videos, have excess to all the file on my PC, I pretty much can control my desktop computer from any where in the house with out actually being near it. SWEET!!

Thanks a lot guys you really did me a solid one here thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts