What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

cmyachtie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App closing
Place 5 fingers on screen slide up to see how many apps are open. Close then by holding down on the first app you see till a little negative sign comes up ...click each app you want closed. Dummy me didn't know this till had the iPad for. While so as basic a tip as it is I thought I'd pass it on.

I just swipe them "up and away" , once you see all your apps that R open.
Don't know if that's common knowledge or not, have read about half of these posts here by now and have not come across this yet.
Great thread!!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does not work for me in IOS 7, "Split&Undock" do show when holding the keyboard key but nothing happens when pressed also it disappears when releasing the keyboard key.....am I not fast enough or is it functional in 7?
Either you tap it early enough afterwards, or you slide to it. It still works in iOS 7.1:

image-681909746.jpg

image-763788515.jpg

image-2765907251.jpg

Swiping "up and away" is common knowledge. You'll find this in many troubleshooting steps in the forum. We call it "force closing apps". :)

Last edited:

gazza959

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapping the shift key twice to go into caps lock is what the last paragraph was supposed to describe, though it could certainly have been clearer. It's worked from the first iPad, though the symbols showing the key's state have chcanged a bit.

Here's how it looks in iOS 7. No more blue, but a line under the arrow instead.

View attachment 55205

Useful trick, thank you. Very handy to know

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just swipe them "up and away" , once you see all your apps that R open.
Don't know if that's common knowledge or not, have read about half of these posts here by now and have not come across this yet.
Great thread!!!!

You have to remember that most of these tips & tricks were posted before iOS 7; which changed quite a few things.

phineasjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How come searching on this thing never gets you anything that has to do with your search. I get people selling stuff and talking about inane stuff that has nothing to do with real problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The built in forum search does not work very well. It's a weakness of the software used to create the forum, I suspect.

Instead, use the Custom Google Search at the top right of the website. You'll have to do this in a web browser, not the iPF app.

iPad Forum

iPFSearch.jpg

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How come searching on this thing never gets you anything that has to do with your search. I get people selling stuff and talking about inane stuff that has nothing to do with real problems.

That's when it's time to start a new thread. We encourage searching, but at the end of the day, the forum is about getting information, and newer versions of iOS may need a new thread to address problems.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

To add to Twerppoet's great advice.......you can access Website view of the site from the app whenever in a thread to access the Google Search feature.

Just tap the top of the screen to take you to the top of the thread or scroll up to the top, then tap the Thread Title line (you'll see a small grey arrow to the far right of the title) the page will load and you are now on the site. It's a handy little shortcut to access the search feature among other features also.

image-175432936.jpg

image-2913887147.jpg

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. How are things in 2015? :)
I joke of course. I assume you mean the Air 2. Welcome and enjoy.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was the thread I was sent to from my email, but don't see tips and tricks here

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This was the thread I was sent to from my email, but don't see tips and tricks here

This thread is fairly old. There are iPad tips towards the beginning, but some of them are no longer current, or require different actions. Pretty much all the tips and tricks that deal with the forum are out of date. The site's software has changed.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread is fairly old. There are iPad tips towards the beginning, but some of them are no longer current, or require different actions. Pretty much all the tips and tricks that deal with the forum are out of date. The site's software has changed.

TXS for update. Figured as much.

Most reactions

Latest posts