What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

D

Deleted member 247820

Trouble putting MP4 movies into iPad videos via iTunes on a PC.

Not all MP4 movies will go into the iPad, however I suddenly found that I could get no MP4 movies to go into a "new" PC.
After much angst I discovered that it is necessary for the PC to have Quick Time installed.
I know most people in iPad Land would have Quick Time, but I was trying to live without it.
Once Quick Time was installed I could drag MP4 s into the iPad again.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think u are using it differently than I needed for unzipping page builder pages at Skydrive/outlook mail. Txs anyway

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have Quick Time. never could figure out how to upload it. Is it a big help? How did u get it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have Quick Time. never could figure out how to upload it. Is it a big help? How did u get it?

Apple - QuickTime - Download

This link will detect the operating system of the computer you are on, so visit with the computer you need QuickTime installed on.

Mac (OS X) users should not need to download QuickTime. The basic functions of QuickTime are already provided in the system. You'll only need to download QuickTime if you want the advanced (paid features) or have other problems that require it to be re-installed.

QuickTime should have been installed automatically when you installed iTunes or Safari on your Windows computer, but you can opt out of this.

D

Deleted member 247820

This link will detect the operating system of the computer you are on, so visit with the computer you need QuickTime installed on.

Mac (OS X) users should not need to download QuickTime. The basic functions of QuickTime are already provided in the system. You'll only need to download QuickTime if you want the advanced (paid features) or have other problems that require it to be re-installed.

QuickTime should have been installed automatically when you installed iTunes or Safari on your Windows computer, but you can opt out of this.

Hello T Poet!
I always try to do without stuff until it is absolutely necessary!
So I did not select Quick time at the iTunes download.
As you can see in the end I needed it more than I did not want it!
Yikes does that make sense?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello T Poet!
I always try to do without stuff until it is absolutely necessary!
So I did not select Quick time at the iTunes download.
As you can see in the end I needed it more than I did not want it!
Yikes does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. :)

I've done the same myself a time or two. Sometimes I even get away with it.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Don't have a Windows PC, only an ipad. Sent myself a link and will see if I can get it. Maybe it's not available on ipad..only pcs.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I tapped the link I sent myself it went back to same page I tapped to get it..nowhere
Never installed -apple iTunes as it was already on iPad, but no quick time with it! Guess I don't really need it if its a paid app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't have a Windows PC, only an ipad. Sent myself a link and will see if I can get it. Maybe it's not available on ipad..only pcs.

QuickTime is only for desktop PC's. You can't load it on the iPad, and you should not have to. The iPad already has the QuickTime playback engine built into the OS.

LLL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you are happily discovering new features on iOS7, such as the ability to make a FaceTime call without having to do it face-to-face, you may also be dismayed to find that some of the old tricks no longer work.

For example, to close an app and restart it the old way, you'd press the Home button a couple times on the Home screen to display the application icons at the bottom of the screen. Then you would hold down the app icon (such as the iCMTGIS II icon) briefly until a "-" symbol shows up by that icon. Then you would tap on the "-" symbol by the application icon to turn it off. You would press the Home button to complete the action then run the app by tapping on its icon.

On iOS7, when you press the Home button a couple times on the Home screen, the icons of the running apps are displayed at the bottom of the screen. A frame is also displayed for each active application icon. To close an app, drag the corresponding frame up until you have pushed it out of the Home screen. To run the app again, press the Home button then tap the application icon.

Why would you want to close an app? Sometimes an app may crash because there are too many other apps open and using up the resources. You can use the above procedure to close some of the other apps.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As you are happily discovering new features on iOS7, such as the ability to make a FaceTime call without having to do it face-to-face, you may also be dismayed to find that some of the old tricks no longer work.

For example, to close an app and restart it the old way, you'd press the Home button a couple times on the Home screen to display the application icons at the bottom of the screen. Then you would hold down the app icon (such as the iCMTGIS II icon) briefly until a "-" symbol shows up by that icon. Then you would tap on the "-" symbol by the application icon to turn it off. You would press the Home button to complete the action then run the app by tapping on its icon.

On iOS7, when you press the Home button a couple times on the Home screen, the icons of the running apps are displayed at the bottom of the screen. A frame is also displayed for each active application icon. To close an app, drag the corresponding frame up until you have pushed it out of the Home screen. To run the app again, press the Home button then tap the application icon.

Why would you want to close an app? Sometimes an app may crash because there are too many other apps open and using up the resources. You can use the above procedure to close some of the other apps.
Don't forget you can now close up to 3 Apps simultaneously by dragging 3 running App previews up from the bottom of the screen.

cmyachtie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing these. Just a couple of comments and clarifications to add, because I'm in a nit-picky mood. ;)

While this one works, it's not much of much use. Taping the shift key once turns the arrow blue and only the next letter tapped will be capitalized. Dragging your finger does the same thing for more effort.

To type many caps in a row, you can hold the shift key and continue typing, which is inconvenient at best. YouR tip about enabiling Caps Lock fixes this. You can tell which mode the shift key is in by the way it highlights. A blue arrow means only the next letter will be capitalized (unless you hold it). Caps lock is indicated by the entire key turning blue, and the arrow white.

This maybe just on the newer iPad's but double tapping the caps lock key also keeps U in caps mode .....and is easier I think.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This maybe just on the newer iPad's but double tapping the caps lock key also keeps U in caps mode .....and is easier I think.

Tapping the shift key twice to go into caps lock is what the last paragraph was supposed to describe, though it could certainly have been clearer. It's worked from the first iPad, though the symbols showing the key's state have chcanged a bit.

Here's how it looks in iOS 7. No more blue, but a line under the arrow instead.

shiftkey.jpg

Most reactions