What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TinyUmbrella fails to launch

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am having a problem trying to run Tiny Umbrella....ver 5.10.01.
The application runs through a couple of flash screens including "unable to validate libraries" & "Reticulating splines" and then just closes. No application nothing. Zilch....
Its a real bummer 'cos now I cant save my SHSH blob for my iPad that was recently upgraded to 5.0.1
I am running Windows 7 32 bit, and have tried uninstalling / re-installing java to no effect.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thx

OP
ojisjunkie

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No-one seen this problem at all?
I have googled it quite a bit and itdoes seem to be quite common...
I have an XP machine t home, so wil try and run on it that to see of its Windows OS related or a problem with TU.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's normally indicative of a Java issue, but you said you tried that. Ensure you are running the latest stable JVM. And try it on another PC if you can.

OP
ojisjunkie

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like it is a Java of Windows related issue. Tried on an old xp machine last night and it worked fine.
I'll investigate a little further and if I find anything i'll post it here as a follow up.

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting had a bunch of glitches tried fix by resetting.... Just kept going In safe mode

Tried tiny umbrella to get to dfu mode...

Finally had to upgrade to 5,01... Thought would be easy as I have all blobs saved inc the famous 4.33

One problem the be TU doesn't recognize device of either my phone or iPad 2 yet it lists all iOS's including 4.33

Tried restarting pc and ipad2

Could it be the latest version of tu giving me grief?

I need to get this back to 4.33 againg so I can jb

OP
ojisjunkie

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting had a bunch of glitches tried fix by resetting.... Just kept going In safe mode

Tried tiny umbrella to get to dfu mode...

Finally had to upgrade to 5,01... Thought would be easy as I have all blobs saved inc the famous 4.33

One problem the be TU doesn't recognize device of either my phone or iPad 2 yet it lists all iOS's including 4.33

Tried restarting pc and ipad2

Could it be the latest version of tu giving me grief?

I need to get this back to 4.33 againg so I can jb

Have you tried older versions of Tiny Umbrella? You can download different versions here..http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/06/tinyumbrella-save-shsh-blobs/

OP
ojisjunkie

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
soooo....after a lengthy trawl through my pc, I have finally found the solution. Although Tiny Umbrella is portable, its settings are stored in the registry, and the location of the blobs that you save are hard coded in the registry.
Hence my problem.
I had given my usb drive a new drive letter, but this is where my blobs were saved. Obviously this didn't match the settings in the registry, and TinyUmbrella failed to launch.
So, a quick search in the registry for 'semaphore' and removal of the entries, restart TinyUmbrella, and hey presto! Successful.

princefrost8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help!!!

soooo....after a lengthy trawl through my pc, I have finally found the solution. Although Tiny Umbrella is portable, its settings are stored in the registry, and the location of the blobs that you save are hard coded in the registry.
Hence my problem.
I had given my usb drive a new drive letter, but this is where my blobs were saved. Obviously this didn't match the settings in the registry, and TinyUmbrella failed to launch.
So, a quick search in the registry for 'semaphore' and removal of the entries, restart TinyUmbrella, and hey presto! Successful.

Can you show me the path to that directory specific? And what's its name?
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
ojisjunkie

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
princefrost8 said:
Can you show me the path to that directory specific? And what's its name?
Thanks!

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean.....in my solution that i mention you need to delete the registry entries rather than find a particular directory. Just search for "semaphore" in your registry and delete the relevant entries. (if you are on a windows pc that is)

Most reactions