What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Warner App - connect when not at home

mhunt3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to use the Time Warner app to watch live tv when I am connected to wi-fi away from my home. I tried it at the gym and I got the message "To watch live TV, you must be connected to your home network". Is there any way around this?

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mhunt3 said:
Is there any way to use the Time Warner app to watch live tv when I am connected to wi-fi away from my home. I tried it at the gym and I got the message "To watch live TV, you must be connected to your home network". Is there any way around this?

no there is not.

pastro50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mhunt3 said:

no there is not.

It's quite complicated but it can be done.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know the app, but suspect your licence details the software knows your routers MAC or IP address.

They would not make it easy or you could allow friends, family etc to view free, we. Are then inti piracy issues

pastro50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think as long as you are on your home network and you are not connected on the ipad with VPN it will work

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They use your cable modem's hardware address, known as a MAC address, to know you are one of their subscribers. You would have to be able to "spoof" the MAC address to get around their system.

-t

pastro50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They use your cable modem's hardware address, known as a MAC address, to know you are one of their subscribers. You would have to be able to "spoof" the MAC address to get around their system.

-t

That's not the approach that I use but I suppose that works.
Edit - Actually I can't think how you could spoof the MAC address where it would fool the server.
I don't think the MAC ID goes any further than the next hop, so it would be replaced if you were trying to access from another WIFI. You could initially spoof it but one hop down the chain it is gone.

Last edited:

Most reactions