What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time frame before apple patch...

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick question... Think we have at least a week to play around with upgrades and JB'ing before apple comes out with a patch? I have idevices with os as far back as 4.1. Do I really have to save my shsh/blobs? I don't roll back anyways after JB'ing my devices... Is there any "danger" if I don't save?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you really should save your SHSH blobs (although, for the iPad, if you've not saved them before, you'll only be able to save 4.3.3). It's a good habit to get into, to save them.

I'm not sure I understand the gist of your post, though. When Apple comes out with the fix to the security leak/jailbreak, you don't have to upgrade to it. In fact, you don't want to upgrade to it, else you'll lose your jailbreak.

And, if you upgrade and you are not the owner of an iPad1 or iPad2 WiFi only, you'll be stuck at the new firmware, back to waiting on someone to jailbreak Apple's newest attempt... For now, only iPad1 and iPad2 WiFi people can use their 4.3.3 SHSH blobs to go back down, should they have to restore.

Ultimately, for those with iPad2 3G, you want to take this week/few days to muck about with your iPad and thrash it hard - figure out what you can/should do with it. Because 4.3.3 is still being signed by Apple, you'll be fine if you have to restore and you'll have lost nothing. But, once they stop signing 4.3.3 and you have to restore, you are out of luck as you'll have to go with the new Apple firmware, which won't be jail break capable (for now).

Biometrix - did that answer your question? If not, try again?

However, I'm glad you asked, cause that gave me a chance to remind the new jailbreakers, with a 3G iPad2 especially, that they want to get all the boo-boos & "ooops, I goofed up" actions out of the way before Apple closes the 4.3.3 jail break window. Cause, if you mess up after that and have to restore - it's back to stock.

Marilyn

P.S. Of course, that's for now - who knows what tomorrow will bring? Regardless of your situation: Back up your SHSH blobs!

OP
B

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing... I was reading a couple of post earlier and someone mentioned something about patching something using a PDF file... What's that all about? Is it important? Sori too many questions... Big time noobie here...

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biometrix said:
One more thing... I was reading a couple of post earlier and someone mentioned something about patching something using a PDF file... What's that all about? Is it important? Sori too many questions... Big time noobie here...

Yes look for PDF Patcher 2 in cydia, closes the security hole used by the jailbreak. You won't lose the jb.

OP
B

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yes, you really should save your SHSH blobs (although, for the iPad, if you've not saved them before, you'll only be able to save 4.3.3). It's a good habit to get into, to save them.

I'm not sure I understand the gist of your post, though. When Apple comes out with the fix to the security leak/jailbreak, you don't have to upgrade to it. In fact, you don't want to upgrade to it, else you'll lose your jailbreak.

And, if you upgrade and you are not the owner of an iPad1 or iPad2 WiFi only, you'll be stuck at the new firmware, back to waiting on someone to jailbreak Apple's newest attempt... For now, only iPad1 and iPad2 WiFi people can use their 4.3.3 SHSH blobs to go back down, should they have to restore.

Ultimately, for those with iPad2 3G, you want to take this week/few days to muck about with your iPad and thrash it hard - figure out what you can/should do with it. Because 4.3.3 is still being signed by Apple, you'll be fine if you have to restore and you'll have lost nothing. But, once they stop signing 4.3.3 and you have to restore, you are out of luck as you'll have to go with the new Apple firmware, which won't be jail break capable (for now).

Biometrix - did that answer your question? If not, try again?

However, I'm glad you asked, cause that gave me a chance to remind the new jailbreakers, with a 3G iPad2 especially, that they want to get all the boo-boos & "ooops, I goofed up" actions out of the way before Apple closes the 4.3.3 jail break window. Cause, if you mess up after that and have to restore - it's back to stock.

Marilyn

P.S. Of course, that's for now - who knows what tomorrow will bring? Regardless of your situation: Back up your SHSH blobs!

Thanks for the response. Ok so, I did use TU to backup before the upgrade and all I got to save was a 4.3.3 and some 5.0beta stuff... That's for my ipad2. Now since I have been waiting for the newer iphone4gs?/iphone5, I am still using a jailbroken 3GS running 4.1 ... now should I use TU to back it up and then upgrade to 4.3.3 and JB the 3GS again? Also if u read my previous post, I have another question about someone posting something about a PDF patch... What is that? Sori, just eager to learn... Thanks

OP
B

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last thing. I forgot to list what devices I'm talking about.

Ipad2 32gb wifi only -4.3.3
iPhone 3GS 16bg - 4.1
iPhone 4 16gb - 4.2

Most reactions

Latest posts