What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a change.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade from my 9.7" iPad Pro to the 10.5".
I did consider the 12.9" but I really don't need one that big.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the 10.5” but in my case i am upgrading from an iPad Air (1). Why are you thinking of the 2017 Pro instead of waiting for the 2018 release?

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the 10.5” but in my case i am upgrading from an iPad Air (1). Why are you thinking of the 2017 Pro instead of waiting for the 2018 release?
From my understanding there are no iPad upgrades this year, unless I've missed something.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From my understanding there are no iPad upgrades this year, unless I've missed something.

Well, I've procrastinated on my Air 2 upgrade - thought that I'd have a 'new' iPad by now but have waited wanting to see what Apple would release in the fall - I was hoping for a Pro upgrade but only rumors (as shown below - LINK) - some supposed features include a USB-C port & an 18-watt charger - also assume no HOME button w/ facial recognition - my battery is still dying on the iPad Air 2 but don't want to invest in a replacement - probably will just wait. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 12.03.57 PM.png

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've procrastinated on my Air 2 upgrade - thought that I'd have a 'new' iPad by now but have waited wanting to see what Apple would release in the fall - I was hoping for a Pro upgrade but only rumors (as shown below - LINK) - some supposed features include a USB-C port & an 18-watt charger - also assume no HOME button w/ facial recognition - my battery is still dying on the iPad Air 2 but don't want to invest in a replacement - probably will just wait. Dave :)
View attachment 83378
Rumours of only being able to view in Portrait mode didn't please me....
Also what pushed me is I have a buyer for my 9.7" model getting over half my money back.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 83378
The lightning connector on the 12.5" iPad Pro is already USB-C compatible and can be used for much faster data transfer with a Mac equipped with USB-C ports. All you need is the lightning to USB-C cable. It can also use the 29W MacBook charger for faster charging.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The lightning connector on the 12.5" iPad Pro is already USB-C compatible and can be used for much faster data transfer with a Mac equipped with USB-C ports. All you need is the lightning to USB-C cable. It can also use the 29W MacBook charger for faster charging.

True, but the current Pros still have a lightning port and would require the extra expense of a compatible cable and USB-C charger - probably would not buy into that option. Plus, I've never liked the 'lightning connector', i.e. seems flimsy and potentially easily damaged, especially for users that might be careless in their insertion into an i-Device - on our iPads & wife's iPhone, repeated insertion is sometimes needed to get a 'charging icon' to show (and we pay attention) - this observation seems to have become more of an issue as our devices have aged.

SO, just wondering if the USB-C connector may be more robust as to its durability vs. the lightning connector? Not sure - just a concern for me in an iPad upgrade - some more information in this recent Article - also rumored in that link is whether Apple may just eliminate the charging port w/ the advent of non-cabled battery charging - Apple seems to be headed toward i-Devices w/ no holes or connections? Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know now if I should wait and see if there is an upgrade soon...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True, but the current Pros still have a lightning port and would require the extra expense of a compatible cable and USB-C charger - probably would not buy into that option. Plus, I've never liked the 'lightning connector', i.e. seems flimsy and potentially easily damaged, especially for users that might be careless in their insertion into an i-Device - on our iPads & wife's iPhone, repeated insertion is sometimes needed to get a 'charging icon' to show (and we pay attention) - this observation seems to have become more of an issue as our devices have aged.

SO, just wondering if the USB-C connector may be more robust as to its durability vs. the lightning connector? Not sure - just a concern for me in an iPad upgrade - some more information in this recent Article - also rumored in that link is whether Apple may just eliminate the charging port w/ the advent of non-cabled battery charging - Apple seems to be headed toward i-Devices w/ no holes or connections? Dave :)
I would think that both types of connectors would be equally durable. As to wireless charging, it takes longer as it’s not as efficient and eliminating the charging port would force you to use WiFi syncing with iTunes. Restoring from a backup could potentially take several hours.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just set up my new 10.5" iPad Pro.
All I can say is anyone who is holding back for whatever reason, maybe the rumours of a a 2018 update? .....
Don't!
This iPad is amazing, super slim and the size is perfect, I'm glad I didn't go for the 12.9".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts