What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thunderbird on ipad2?

MarkT41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone using TB on their ipad2? Could use suggestions on getting started. Thank you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about the email client? I don't think - as far as I know - there is a Thunderbird app for the iPad.

Tim

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Apple there is a Thunderbird email app as they give instructins on how to use it here:

h t tp:/ /su pport .apple.com / kb / HT3228 (I have had to put breaks in as I am not allowed to post links in my first three posts please remove them before copying them to your browser searc bar)

Exactly where it is in the istore I would dealy like to know as I have a client who I have to install it for.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I think that the page referenced is for other Apple devices. Even though the iPad is listed at the top of the page, I can't find it in the App Store either, so I'm thinking that it is there for the other devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The page covers multiple devices (including Windows and Macintosh computers), so it includes Thunderbird as a possible app. Thunderbird is not available for iOS devices. Not all of the listed programs are available on all devices/computers.

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the page I linked too specifically refers too, and I quote:

Products Affected Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.6, iPad..... (My emphasis)

It then goes on to list various email clients and contains, in that list, Mozilla Thunderbird. Are they telling us porkies?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are instructions for adding a POP mail account to the iPad, so I'd say the iPad is a product affected. That does not mean that everything on the page is for the iPad. Even the page's title tells you it is about more than the iPad. It is about setting up POP email on multiple devices. Or do you think the five Microsoft Windows programs will also run on the iPad?

The fact remains that the Thunderbird email client is not available for the iPad. Arguing about what the page seems to say isn't going to change that fact.

Still not convinced? Here is the Mozilla Thunder site, and their list of all languages and system it is available for. No iPad. There is probably an email somewhere where you can ask, if still not convinced.

The only way you are going to run Thunderbird on the iPad is to remote into another computer that can run Thunderbird.

Last edited:

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes twerppoet, I accept when you say that Thunderbird is not available as an app for the iPad. The point I was trying to make, maybe not so clearly is that the information on that Apple web page is somewhat misleading.

The reason my client want TB is not because he has a particular liking for it. It is a security issue. As far as I can tell the default email app does not support tsl security. TB does and that is what he wants. I have started a separate thread here about that. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/63113-how-set-up-tls-security-mail-app.html. This is not the appropriate place for that discussion and I have hijacked MarkT41's thread quite enough.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I've never heard of TLS , so I'll have to keep an eye on that thread and see if I can learn something.

I can't see the page as misleading. It does what it says it does. I does have information about the iPad, so I don't see how they could not include it in the description as being affected. When you open and read the Mozilla Thunderbird section it does not say a thing about the iPad, and (at least to me) the graphics and description are obviously not for an iPad.

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point, and as you say we've digressed far enough.

MarkT41 either hasn't come back to see what happened to his thread, or question answered, decided that discretion was the better part of valor. I hope we didn't scare him away. ;)

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hate to think we have scared anyone away. I know from other forums that threads can get a bit frustrating when a couple of contributors have, what seems to be, an off topic conversation, but we all try to learn from and help others by using our collective experiences. That is what the open source community is all about. I hope and believe that this is the overall aim of this forum as well , all be it Apple is proprietary software.

Most reactions

Latest posts