What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the rumored iPad Pro 9.7?

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
so rumor has it that in just about a day and a half the iPad Pro may be getting a little brother in the way of an iPad Pro 9.7...

The rumors include Apple Pencil support as well as 4 speakers, camera flash, 4GB RAM, A9X processor all in a 9.7" enclosure. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit intrigued by this if the rumors pan out... I'm very happy with my iPad Pro as of right now though and the latest Intel pegs the Pro 9.7 at a starting price of $599. That's a little bit steep but considering what it's packing it may still be a bargain to some.

So my question is, anyone with an iPad Pro intrigued by this prospect of an iPad Pro 9.7? Anyone thinking of adding one to their collection or upgrading/downgrading? What specs/features would you like to see and what would sway you one way or the other? And any other thoughts you'd like to share on the new Pro...

Thanks! :)

crocky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waiting to see... I'll be getting one whatever the spec says...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the cellular option will be restricted to the 128gb version, as in the iPad Pro.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, after using the larger Pro, there absolutely no going back. The regular 9.7 screen is like a child's toy to me now.

What he said! :)

I was using my brother's iPad Air 2 the other day - and man, did it feel/look tiny to my Pro-user eyes. I hope Apple never gets rid of this size.

So, no, I'll not give up the Pro for the smaller iPad (and one iPad is plenty for me). For those who think the iPad Pro is too big, this'll be a tough decision, especially if it comes with the ability to use the pencil (cause yes, the pencil is THAT awesome).

Marilyn

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad pro ended being too big for me so I bought a iPad Air 2. I'm glad I did even with the pending iPad coming up. While I like having newer equipment I don't need the very latest. I don't see anything I "need" on this new one. I'm really more interested in how the split screen develops. I think it's atrocious right now. When it gets to where I think it should be (now) I'll probably go back to the larger Pro.

OP
metalcyclone

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I'm just excited to hear more about the new iPad tomorrow. If it's $599 I probably will not be jumping on it right away but down the road sometime? You never know...

That's not a reflection on how much I like the iPad as a tablet though. It just shows that I'm already satisfied with the Pro I have...

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow's iPad brings to the table though, and what else Apple may have in store for us at the event. Maybe some surprises? :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it's not rumored anymore. :rolleyes:

If both sizes had been offered from the begining, I would have probably gotten the 9.7 inch model. The Pencil was the biggest attractioun for me. Now that I'm used to the larger one I don't see going back. At least not this year.

When I got the iPad Pro I started an experiment to see how useful it would be. I stopped using the 27" iMac as much as I could. The result: nearly six months later I forgot I was experimenting (just remembed as I started typing this). The iPad Pro has become so much a part of my normal computer use that I sometimes forget I have an iMac.

Part of that is that my iMac is kind of old, and has gotten slow and crashy enough that using it is mildly irritating. Right now all it's doing is making sure backups get done and keeping some online storage synced locally (again for backup purposes). The rest is that the iPad Pro is just easy to use, and powerful enough that I amost never run into things I can't do.

Anyway, even though the new iPad Pro 9.7" has a few intersting features, and is much more portable than the larger iPad Pro, I'm not tempted to down size. If I end up getting a brand new iMac that might change, but right now the larger iPad Pro fits just on the edge of large enough for home use, and still small enough to carry around.

Plus I don't think I'd like lossing the screen size when it comes to drawing. It's not that I'm an artist and/or 'need' to draw professionally (or amaturelly). I just like it enough for it to be a major consideraton when it comes decision time.

Note: The new True Tone feautre could actualy be pretty important for professonal artists. I bet they are all hoping it will be part of a refreshed 12" iPad Pro soon.

crocky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's 8:40am on the day and I still cannot order one, tried at midnight and again at 6..... I'm waiting till 9 and we'll see then....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried the Apple Store app and the 9.7" iPad Pro is still showing as unavailable.

crocky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's now just after 4.00 pm..... And.... We are waiting for the store to be updated!

JUS_SAURON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted this 3 months ago ...Got the ipad Pro 12.9 ...maybe next year or if I sell the ipad air 2 I have .
Nice specs -flash , better camera , keyboard support , pencil suppprt , 256 option !

Most reactions